Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm considering a pop-up canopy for my basecamp setup. This will provide some shelter from rain and sun while not being connected to my truck or needing trees to string up to. There seems to be a vast variety of these on the market. I'm curious if anyone can suggest one. I understand these can be difficult to setup alone, but it's worth a try.

What pop-up canopy do you use? And what are the pros and cons to these?

Andrew A.

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6KRF
We use a Coleman 10x10. I think I got it at Costco a few years ago, but it's been one of the best things I've ever gotten for camping and overall outdoors activities.
We get a whole lot of sun and not a lot of rain here in Southern California. We have had it in a crazy downpour of sudden rain and thunder in Zion once, and it worked really well against the rain.

One thing about these kinds of canopies, however, is that they are not always the most rugged or robust in construction. It's a trade off, I think, between weight and strength. Some other canopies are much beefier, but they are also bulkier and heavier than something like the Coleman. Likewise, we have an Ozark Trail (Walmart brand) canopy that's lighter and packs a little smaller than the Coleman, but it's also not as strong and has been bent by the wind on one of our beach trips.

Also another thing to note is that some have straight vertical legs while others are slanted. If a slant-legged canopy is listed as being 10x10, it is talking about the footprint and not the actual canopy overhead. Being as such, a straight-legged 10x10 provides more shade than a slant-legged 10x10.

If you get a canopy like this, be sure to stake it down in windy conditions, as wind can pick up the canopy and/or break it.
Take good care of it (I always remove the canopy from the frame and fold it up separately when packing it up) and it will last a very long time.

Reactions: dziner

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I use pop-ups in a basecamp setup , but have also found the larger ones easily damaged by strong winds (25+ mph). Even when staked down the canopy can become a sail and bend and break the “scissor assembly” that supports the perimeter of the canopy. The best way to mitigate that is to lower the canopy in the event of high winds.

We have actually transitioned to a fairly small pop-up roughly 6x6 with the highest point at the dome being 6 ft. Primarily used as our camp kitchen, my 5’4” wife can fit comfortably under the canopy while I have to stoop a bit. One of the best features is how small size it packs.

E215F055-C183-4946-A4AA-D1146169AF48.jpeg

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I use pop-ups in a basecamp setup , but have also found the larger ones easily damaged by strong winds (25+ mph). Even when staked down the canopy can become a sail and bend and break the “scissor assembly” that supports the perimeter of the canopy. The best way to mitigate that is to lower the canopy in the event of high winds.

We have actually transitioned to a fairly small pop-up roughly 6x6 with the highest point at the dome being 6 ft. Primarily used as our camp kitchen, my 5’4” wife can fit comfortably under the canopy while I have to stoop a bit. One of the best features is how small size it packs.

View attachment 62873
How has it held up to rain? The size/weight of this one is nice. I'm only 5'6" and would be setting up a small roll-up table for the JetBoil and food prep and maybe a chair or two. We have a wide range of weather in Pennsylvania so I try to be prepared for anything.

Reactions: Scout

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

How has it held up to rain? The size/weight of this one is nice. I'm only 5'6" and would be setting up a small roll-up table for the JetBoil and food prep and maybe a chair or two. We have a wide range of weather in Pennsylvania so I try to be prepared for anything.
Living in the desert doesn’t give us much experience with the rain. We did have one evening when it showered a pretty good while we were sleeping and woke up to a dry kitchen. The flap that acts as a windshield also does a good job keeping the weather out. The only disadvantage is the relatively small footprint gives less area protected.

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
You can get those slanted 10x10 canopies on sale all the time for $49. I have those commercial grade 10x10 straight leg that I keep up all the time at home. It's a beast and very heavy.

But for camping and $49, it's worth it to get the cheaper version. When you leave camp if you are worried about the wind, stake it down, unhook the canopy from the 4 corners but leave it attached and bunched up in several places and you'll be fine with the wind not damaging it. It's very light weight and lasted me 2 seasons so it's now worth it.

Andrew A.

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6KRF
When you leave camp if you are worried about the wind, stake it down, unhook the canopy from the 4 corners but leave it attached and bunched up in several places and you'll be fine with the wind not damaging it.
Oh that's a great idea, I'll have to do that next time instead of worrying all day haha

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

we have 2.. either an 8x8 and 10x10 or 10x10 and 12x12..lol Don't recall.. I usually set them up myself depending on obstacles.I pull the framework out in form and move it to the location I want it. THEN I install the canvas and raise it to the desired height..Raising it alone can be a struggle with the 1st 2 legs but not unbearable..Both have angles legs. They work great for base camp. Mainly because it saves your location so {hopefully} nobody takes your spot while your gone..And your already set up for when you get back. That's handy..If I don't get an awning for my truck, I might opt to get a 6x6 stand alone for the reason I mentioned..I'm pretty sure mine are both Coleman. The canvas is pretty heavy and durable. I second the comment of undoing the edges and/or lowering during high winds. We've used them during heavy rain and the keep you pretty dry, depending on the size. It also helps to spray with some waterproofing product..I wouldn't not have 1. We use them quite a bit here at home too..

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I've been using a Bass Pro 10'x10' for the last 3 years and it's held up well. For the price ($100 or so CDN) if I get 5 or 6 years out of it I'll be happy. I'm sure it will last longer though.

It poured this weekend and I stayed dry ... sort of.

Reactions: Scout

mattgagnonphoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Montana, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7CYM
I was just trying to decide between an EZ-UP style canopy and an ARB awning attached to my Subaru. Amazon has one that looks identical to the EZ-UP for $85 if you like the color blue. White is a little bit more. I'm going to go this route so I can leave the canopy set up and take my vehicle to explore. Has anyone purchased one of these?98431

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

I have 2 of the EZ-Up One Push in an olive color. I went with them because they are straight leg and i ca attach them together with a velcro strap if i need the extra space.
I paid less than $100 each on sale at Dick's. I recently grabbed a tent that attaches to the side for a potty/changing room when the wife is with me.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

I was thinking of doing the same thing. But someone responded to a post I posted a while back about using one of the Clam pop shelters. Which I am thinking to be a better option as it stops the bugs and in Michigan, they S U C K!!! Now it's a matter of either a Clam or Gazelle. Anyone have any experiences with those?

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

I have and recommend the 10x10 EZ-Up that is sold at Sam's Club. They are $199 but they can take a beating. I have had 2, (the first one I loaned out and never got it back from my bro-in-law) and I have seen them get picked up and slammed down by the wind and still be in one piece. I have seen many of the $49 and $99 models get crumpled by a good gust of wind.

Reactions: mattgagnonphoto

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Coleman SunShade 10x10. Reflective silver finish with one side curtain. On sale at Target...$99. The only place I could find the silver one. I made a set of detachable lines and HD metal nail type stakes and a set of sand screw type stakes. Good quality and as held up to some pretty intense Florida thunder storms. I also bought 4 solar garden lights @ $.97 ea. at w-mart to put at each line/stake so not to trip over them at night. They throw just the right amount of light.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Coleman SunShade 10x10. Reflective silver finish with one side curtain. On sale at Target...$99. The only place I could find the silver one. I made a set of detachable lines and HD metal nail type stakes and a set of sand screw type stakes. Good quality and as held up to some pretty intense Florida thunder storms. I also bought 4 solar garden lights @ $.97 ea. at w-mart to put at each line/stake so not to trip over them at night. They throw just the right amount of light.

good idea with the lighting.. never thought of that.

mattgagnonphoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Montana, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7CYM
Let us know how it works out! Would love to to see a photo of it set up once you use it!