looking at vehicles, how insane do I need to go for overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Now I know the limitations of my Outback but its worth noting that the only thing holding it back from doing more is not having a low range. I'm saying doing more than what I already do which I'm sure would surprise most of you. The limiting factor is not ground clearance or traction (especially with X mode) because even a stock Subaru being discussed only has less than an inch less clearance than a new TRD Pro 4Runner. By comparison my outback has nearly 3" more than that same T4R.

I bought my Outback new and I came to terms with all the pinstriping early haha.
Scratches happen. Every couple years, head out to your favorite detailer, or pick up the tools to compound and polish yourself.

My daily driving did more damage with rocks, snow and salt than a few sage brushes.

And if Subaru would come out and toss in the the Low Range option they have in other markets, it would be an exceptional blend of practicality, and genuine go anywhere abilities.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I have been looking and have similar criteria as you. Here are my thoughts. My number one use is as a daily driver. There is a huge difference between the Subaru and the Forerunner. The XT is a really great and fun SUV to drive, parks easy. The Forerunner is a truck and rides and handles as such. Gas mailage is a factor for me also and the Subaru does well. There is a large cost difference between the XT and similarly equipted Forerunner. The last model Xterra's were done well, just poor gas miiage. These are also discontinued, which might be a factor to consider. You can work a decent Costco deal on a new Subaru, not so much for the Forerunner. Remenber Costco deals are not consistant from model or maker or location or even time of year. I have a story on that! There is a lot more room in a Forerunner or Xterra. Both those SUV's stock are very capable off road, but where is the majority of your driving going to be. Being in Los Angeles distance and traffic are a big factor for me. Good luck!

Uneasyboosh

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for all the inputs!

Currently I have been watching a guy on youtube doing the Trans-American-Trail in a 4runner to see what the trails are actually like. Since that is my end goal.

I have already decided MPG is not an issue for me. I don't drive much and when I go to work it is usually away from home for months without my car. Currently my 2013 bought in May of 13 only has about 26k miles on it for reference.

The 4runner TRD Pro has been my main research focus right now as it will get me everything I would need with just changing out to light truck tires. Also another biggy is used TRD Pros in my area are going for the same price as new ones, so even if I decide 2 years down the road that I went to big I can recoup most of my cost if I decide I don't want to spend so much time offroad.

Since I will most likely be alone for long cross-country trips I would rather go big(4wd/locker) then go AWD and chance it. So far the TaT looks doable on a raised right tire subie, and people have told me it is who have completed it but I'm not a betting man.

I am going to look into getting in with a local group for some ride along, great idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: DK_XV

Kage

Rank 0

Traveler I

^^ Ah, with those extra tidbits, I would just go with a 'true' 4wd of whatever flavor you want. Since your yearly mileage is nothing, I don't think the advantages that the subie can offer are really worth it in this case (MPG, ease of driving, etc).

So yeah, if you like the Pro after a test drive or three, go for it. Don't sweat the scratches or dents that might come from off roading it, and have fun!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for all the inputs!

Currently I have been watching a guy on youtube doing the Trans-American-Trail in a 4runner to see what the trails are actually like. Since that is my end goal.

I have already decided MPG is not an issue for me. I don't drive much and when I go to work it is usually away from home for months without my car. Currently my 2013 bought in May of 13 only has about 26k miles on it for reference.

The 4runner TRD Pro has been my main research focus right now as it will get me everything I would need with just changing out to light truck tires. Also another biggy is used TRD Pros in my area are going for the same price as new ones, so even if I decide 2 years down the road that I went to big I can recoup most of my cost if I decide I don't want to spend so much time offroad.

Since I will most likely be alone for long cross-country trips I would rather go big(4wd/locker) then go AWD and chance it. So far the TaT looks doable on a raised right tire subie, and people have told me it is who have completed it but I'm not a betting man.

I am going to look into getting in with a local group for some ride along, great idea.
Please tell me you’re watching ‘Sir William Goes’ and his T4R?

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
It’s almost comical how clueless he is and it’s only funny because he’s lucky. He had no idea what he was doing and is a great example of how not being prepared can get you in trouble.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

In addition to the LandCruiser, my daily-driver, trail runner is a 2006 Forester. It's been down some knarly jeep trails, put it into Low Gears a go. We swap out the Street tires for medium All-terrains when I know we are headed to the Owyhee Back-country and canyons. It's my favorite vehicle to go Fly-fishing in. Has handled lots of the roads here in Idaho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Agreed the 4Runner is a great platform... if I didn’t have 3 daughters, a family dog, and all the stuff to pack, that’s what I would be driving... plus aftermarket support is second to none on the Toyotas.

Right out of the box they are very capable, whereas the other vehicle you mentioned needs mods to keep up.

James