Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have a number of Solo stoves (started out for camping then bought a Bonfire) and just picked up the Ranger for use on my porch and other smaller spaces. I really like the Solo stuff as it burns very well leaving minimal ash and the fire pattern is a bit hypnotic given the regasification effect. But I will say it really depends on what you are going to use it for as one thing the Solo stuff is not-packable and space saving. Even the Ranger would take up quite a bit of space in the back of my JKU. If you want something that will travel with you and serve as a cooking platform I think there are better (Snow Peak or the Fireside Industries pits-one on Kickstarter right now and there are a number of others you can check out-Expo has a review of a few).

So all that said determine what you want to use it for and go from there-if sitting on the patio and having a fire for ambiance it is great-as a muli-tool type pit not so much. And if you do decide to buy one be patient as they always go on sale.

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

I have one, used as a fire pit at my back yard, I think its very good, kids like it too. comes with travel bag, it's not small ,but there a different sizes available, depends on needs.

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
I bought one on sale right before the covid lockdown and I am still on the fence- more leaning towards regretting it. This is mostly due to the inability to use full size wood but also due to it's size. Just another thing to do around camp. I had a medium sized Snowpeak pit years ago and it was the same issue with wood size. If you are going to get a pit- think strongly about getting one that is 1) Packable 2) Handles full size wood 3) can be used as a grill 4) is durable 5) Reduces smoke. The reduction of smoke in the Ranger is nice- but it fails in the 3 of the 5 aspects I think are desirable.

Last edited:

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
We have the bonfire and as others have stated even on sale they are expensive for what they are for. That said they really do work and reduce smoke significantly. Before the Solo Stove I had a handmade Bushbuddy stove that uses a similar design for a camp cooking stove.

Brassmonkey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

I like the Bonfire at home - all the mentioned reasons. I like that you can create a ton of coals pretty quickly, and after you’ve enjoyed the flames, you can take in all that radiant heat. I also like that it is well contained, this reducing risk of an unintentional fire, and reduces wood to very little ash.

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

I bought one on sale right before the covid lockdown and I am still on the fence- more leaning towards regretting it. This is mostly due to the inability to use full size wood but also due to it's size. Just another thing to do around camp. I had a medium sized Snowpeak pit years ago and it was the same issue with wood size. If you are going to get a pit- think strongly about getting one that is 1) Packable 2) Handles full size wood 3) can be used as a grill 4) is durable 5) Reduces smoke. The reduction of smoke in the Ranger is nice- but it fails in the 3 of the 5 aspects I think are desirable.
I can help you with # 3. Use big ass skewers. I make these for a fun side business and would be happy to sell you 2 for the price of one in exchange for a couple pictures of it in use on a solo pit. BCA1D232-E4C0-4833-A9C9-9D52C7485297.jpeg
https://firegrilling.com/cowboy-kabob

Reactions: Wallygator