Look at the rear shocks with me please (pics)

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

The previous owner installed the RC 3" spacer lift. I have 5112s to put up front, but I'm fine with leaving the RC stuff in the rear. The problem is, I think the PO failed properly install the upper bushings and washers. This is what I've got now:

The one on the left has always looked loose, even though the nut is run down as far as it will go. The pics on instruction sheet from RC are too small to be of any use. Yesterday I noticed the cracked bushing on the right. I know I need to do something, I just don't know what I need. This is my first rig without rear leaf springs.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Umm......wrong. The lower bushing may be out of position if the nuts are ran all the way down. There should be some sort of shoulder for a washer to ride on to keep that lower bushing in position.

Would you mind disassembling that upper bushing set, leave the shock on, and take more pics?

Reactions: Kevin108

E.J.

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
EJ
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WPP
Hello, First off let me say that I personally installed this exact kit on my FJ shortly after buying it about five years ago. I have since upgraded to a full Icon suspension but not due to any problems with the Rough Country. It's good for what it is.

It is installed properly. The shocks are not upside down as I've seen some people state in your other post. Also, all the hardware and bushings are in the right place and order. Nothing is missing.

It looks like the bushings are shot and the right side lower bushing is split open (which is why you have the extra space on top).

I would do an Internet search or just call Rough Country and order new bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

OP.. I do not know squat about the Toy lift. being bored on a cold day I figured I'd try to help..

This is what I come up with ... The prior owner forgot to add in the extra spacer/washer that goes on top of the spacer/washer that is already made on to the shock it's self for the bumpstop, for the shock it's self (if this makes any sense). Looking at both RC 3" kits, You can see this good in this pic.

I would reorder a new bushing kit as stated by the previous poster. The brass colored washer/spacer that is missing will take up the slack in the area of the one for the bump stop. Hope this helps some.

~Bill

Attachments

Reactions: Kevin108

E.J.

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
EJ
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WPP
It looks like the brass one is there on both sides. It's just dirty.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

OP.. I do not know squat about the Toy lift. being bored on a cold day I figured I'd try to help..

This is what I come up with ... The prior owner forgot to add in the extra spacer/washer that goes on top of the spacer/washer that is already made on to the shock it's self for the bumpstop, for the shock it's self (if this makes any sense). Looking at both RC 3" kits, You can see this good in this pic.

I would reorder a new bushing kit as stated by the previous poster. Hope this helps some.

~Bill
It looks like the brass one is there on both sides. It's just dirty.

Possible.. The OP will need to verify. just throwing in my $.02

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

This is what I come up with ... The prior owner forgot to add in the extra spacer/washer that goes on top of the spacer/washer that is already made on to the shock it's self for the bumpstop, for the shock it's self (if this makes any sense).

I would reorder a new bushing kit as stated by the previous poster. The brass colored washer/spacer that is missing will take up the slack in the area of the one for the bump stop. Hope this helps some.

~Bill
Thanks for that picture! That's a huge help!

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Thanks for that picture! That's a huge help!
Right on.

My thought process is.... there should be two washers on the bottom side. One made on, the other is added with the bushing kit.

You might want to get with RC to verify tho. I’m just going by the pic from them.

E.J.

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
EJ
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WPP
Hey Kevin, can you tell us if the kit has rear spacers as well or is this the kit with front spacers and rear springs? The RC 760.20 is what it looks like. The stock photo is accurate to the one I had (which does not have that silver looking perch/washer under the brass colored one).