Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
IMG_0923.JPG Ok guys a question for some of you more experienced out there.
We are about to depart (April) on a 12 month trip around Turkey and Europe with our Defender 90 and converted ex military trailer.

I'm trying to finalise the tools I want to take. Clearly I do not intend to do a complete rebuild on the road but I do want to be able to carry out maintenance and basic repairs or get me to a garage repairs.

I have a basic tool roll with assorted screwdrivers, wrenches, mole grips etc. I will also carry 2 x spanner sets 6mm to 22mm and additional bigger spanners.
I have a digital voltmeter, a DC clampmeter, gas soldering iron and crimp tool with assorted crimps for electrical repairs.
A Battery drill with spare batteries.
I have a nut and bolt kit and a few miscellaneous fixings including hose clips to help with repairs.
I will be carrying a few standard spare parts, UJ's etc and fluids for gearbox, diff, engine and grease for both the Defender and Trailer.

So back to my question. Is there anything else tools wise you think I should carry and what would you recommend. It's trying to get the right balance to meet the requirements of the trip against the weight and space.

Appreciate your input guys thanks.

H

Reactions: seb and Michael

seb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Breukelen, Utrecht, Netherlands
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Bass
Member #

Your lists looks pretty extensive already to me! One thing I would look into as well and you start your post with one bit of it, is what you need to have in the car with you in the different countries! Like the triangle, in France you also need to have high vis jackets for every person in the car for example. Check all these things for all the countries your going to! Not sure if you have a dashcam onboard or not, but there is lots of different rules between countries on that as well! Enjoy!

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Go
Your lists looks pretty extensive already to me! One thing I would look into as well and you start your post with one bit of it, is what you need to have in the car with you in the different countries! Like the triangle, in France you also need to have high vis jackets for every person in the car for example. Check all these things for all the countries your going to! Not sure if you have a dashcam onboard or not, but there is lots of different rules between countries on that as well! Enjoy!
Good point, pesky French ;-)

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I'd also add a hammer, rubber mallet and pry bar.

I didn't see zip ties listed.
Thanks yes I have a Rubber Mallet for tent pegs, but never thought of the pry bar. Cable ties I have squirrelled away everywhere even in the house

Reactions: Travelatomoverland

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Your list looks pretty good to me. I would say that as long as you only bring tools you know how to use / know what they are for, you should be good. I cant tell you how many folks I have seen with a big ol' tool box loaded up with tools they bought at a 4x4 shop that were recommended to them and they have no clue what part they would need to use them on. lol. You seem to have a good grasp of what you will and won't bother tinkering with on the side of the road though so you should be good.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Your list looks pretty good to me. I would say that as long as you only bring tools you know how to use / know what they are for, you should be good. I cant tell you how many folks I have seen with a big ol' tool box loaded up with tools they bought at a 4x4 shop that were recommended to them and they have no clue what part they would need to use them on. lol. You seem to have a good grasp of what you will and won't bother tinkering with on the side of the road though so you should be good.
Yes too many all the gear no idea types out there as I have mentioned in other posts

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

It's probably already covered with the extra screwdrivers, wrenches and stuff you mention, but keep in mind tools, extra parts and such for other things like lanterns, stoves, extra batteries for flashlights, etc. I don't know what kind of stuff you have, but that is something I like to have available for my trips.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Snip20170202_1.png

The Defender being 16 years old I am bound to strip the odd thread here or there.
So a couple of other things have been added to the kit, easyouts, Nut Splitters, Tap and Die Set, Hacksaws ( Junior and standard).
I also have a few cans of WD40 to try to avoid stripping threads :-)
And I also have a Stainless Nut and bolt kit for when all of the above fail !!

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Maybe some Bailing wire, JB weld, silicone tape, duct tape, tire iron, radiator stop leak, BIG zip ties, spare headlight bulbs, always have a hide a key somewhere on the vehicle. Any vehicle specific fuses and electrical relays, brake pads, one man bleeding bottle, lug nuts, battery micro jumpstarter. Hope any of that helps.

Dock Rocker

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Definitely spare light bulbs for your forward facing lights. A GOOD flashlight is a must. Either on that you can stick in a position and hold or a head mounted light.

This is not really a tool but make sure you have some wet wipes or toilet paper in a dry bag. I actually keep mine in the toolbox so I will have it if I end up moving it to someone else's truck.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Definitely spare light bulbs for your forward facing lights. A GOOD flashlight is a must. Either on that you can stick in a position and hold or a head mounted light.

This is not really a tool but make sure you have some wet wipes or toilet paper in a dry bag. I actually keep mine in the toolbox so I will have it if I end up moving it to someone else's truck.
Thanks I went full LED so no spare bulbs required for the vehicle but I do have spares for the trailer.
Head torches you are right as its the only way to really work hands free in pitch black.
Good point re wet wipes and toilet roll. I usually keep the toilet roll in the pull out drawer system at the rear and my Mrs will not go anywhere off grid without a personal wet wipe mountain ;-)

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I keep a hydraulic floor jack in my truck and my cheater pipe is the handle of the floor jack. Two birds with one rock so to speak!
Hey Dock Rocker Anything that has 2 uses is always my preferred option and that is going for equipment and clothes too

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk