Long time lurker...another new member in Denver, CO

• HTML tutorial

BertH2O

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hello Everyone!

I've been admiring the OB community from afar for too long. Figured I should just join y'all.
My name is Bert and I live in Denver, CO. Originally from Knoxville, TN (born and raised, Go Vols!). I moved to Denver in 2010 after 6 years in the concrete jungle of NYC-Manhattan. I work for the National Park Service as an underwater archeologist. Yes, I know there's not much water in Denver...our office is a national program based here but we work all over the globe. Needless to say I travel a lot, which is good and bad at times.

I am a novice overlander, but I'm not new to wheelin' and camping. First rig was a 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ...built it, played with it, and sold it when I got to Denver in 2010. After a few years where I was lured to sexy German cars, I came back to my roots...big tires, heavy rigs, and 4 wheel drive! I have a 2015 4runner TE, King/Toytec suspension lift, 305 Nitto Ridges, SCS Ray 10s, yadda yadda yadda...and stuff.

I like this community and am making more of an effort to be a part of it here in Colorado with the various local groups and clubs. I'm also going to my first FJ Summit this summer in Ouray. Anyhoo...I want to be helpful and I know there's a good network here in Colorado. However if anyone is ever traveling through Denver and needs a place to crash, work on their rig, someone to go fly fish with, or just someone to grab a beer with, hit me up!
Last pic is most recent.

Cheers!
-Bert

IMG_4728.JPGIMG_4475.JPG
IMG_5309.JPG

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Welcome to OB! You have a great overlanding setup. Is your avatar of a scuba-diving smurf? If so, very cool!

BertH2O

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Welcome to OB! You have a great overlanding setup. Is your avatar of a scuba-diving smurf? If so, very cool!
Ha, yes it is a scuba smurf...he's my talisman. I'm lucky that I get to dive as part of my job...so scuba smurf is always close by.

Reactions: Sean S

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Welcome from South Dakota! That's cool that you do underwater archeology! I plan on doing either archeology or anthropology for my masters next year.

Reactions: BertH2O

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Bert

Welcome from another Colorado New-bee.

Nice Rig. I've been gathering info for a new rig of my own. Would you mind if I picked your brains on some of your upgrade choices?

Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Bert

Thank you.

General:
Where have you taken the truck around Co?
Do you have a build thread here (or on another site)?
Any interior Upgrades/Mods
Suspension/Lift:
You mention running King/Toytec suspension lift, Do you recall which setup?
What other options did you consider? Why did you choose the setup you did?
Did you have a local shop do the lift or DIY?
What do you like about the current setup? Any dislikes?
Tires:
How much lift did you need to fit those 33-34" Nitto Grappler tires?
Was there a technical / performance reason for swapping to the SCS Ray 10s rims, or more ascetics?

Boort

BertH2O

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

@Boort
Sure!
In general trails around Georgetown, close to the Front Range like Yankee Hill, Switzerland Trail, a couple trips to the Aspen area, off pavement areas around Denver, Boulder, and fishing spots near Deckers, Spinney Reservoir.

I started a build thread over on t4R.org, but never kept it up.

Interior: ARB dual compressor mounted in engine bay with Bandi Mount, BlueSea fuse box, National Luna battery terminal clamps, Odyssey 34R battery, internally routed HAM and CB cables, Ram Mounts, LED lights, National Luna battery monitor, OBII UltraGauge, 8 gauge wired Cig. Adapter for 12V for fridge, and a cargo system soon.

Exterior: Body mount chop, Hefty Fab front bumper, Warn VR10,000S winch, CBI rear bumper, Hefty full skids, OPOR sliders, Prinsu Roof Rack 3/4, Rear Differential Breather Mod, Rock Lights-6, rear backup lights, Gobi ladder, FJToyman lower shock mount skids. SCS Ray 10 wheels, 17x8.5 with 305 70 17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Suspension: King front coilovers with 600 lb springs, King extended length shocks in rear, Toytec 600lb coils in the rear, Rokmen trailing arms, upper arms, and panhard, SPC UCA's, Toytec bumpstop extension and TC drop.

I started with a full Toytec BOSS kit. It ran well, but as I added weight I started to sage up front. I had only heard good things about Kings so I bit the bullet and got some custom ordered. They are incredible! Right now I left the Toytec springs in the rear because I have not added my cargo system in the rear. That system weight about 200lbs, so I have Dobinson's progressive weight coils sitting in my garage that I will put in when I install the cargo system. I chose it based on the level of comfort I wanted on and off road, the amount of added weight in the form of armor, winches, larger battery, cargo system, and all the stuff that goes in the cargo system--fridge, spare parts, tools, cooking/camping stuff.

Initially I was afraid to work on a vehicle this expensive. I previously had a Jeep Cherokee XJ and I had no hesitation to work on it, and did all but the regearing work on it myself, with help from my brother. RSG in Lakewood sold and installed my Toytec BOSS lift. Insain Fab in Northglenn did my body mount chop. Everything else I did as far as installs and mod...including taking off the BOSS lift and installing all the King parts. I still use RSG for alignments though.

So far I only have a little over 1000 miles, with maybe only 30 of those being offroad on this new suspension. On the road it is great. I don't have much nose dive, and tested that fairly quickly on i70 one day when I had to come to a quick stop. There was no wandering, and no nose dive. Everything seems stiffer around the four corners, but not harsh.

Lift...I'm at about 3" in front, and 3" in rear. I have after market bumpers so it cleared up half of the wheel well from needing any trimming. On the front I trimmed a lot of the plastic but did not have to remove either of the end caps of the rocker. I also had the body mount chop done so I clear everything by an inch or more. Stuffed in the rear, it clears all the way to when my bump stops stop the upward movement of the axle.

Ray10's...well I just liked them! But, I used to run Spidertrax spacers at 1.25" with stock Trail rims. That gave me a good stance. With the Ray 10's and their offset, I eliminated the wheel spacers and have the same stance with the larger 305's.

Hope this helps! Check out some of the toyota groups for Colorado on Facebook if you're on there. Also check out TTORA for all the Tacoma info you could ever want! :)

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@BertH2O

Thank you, I owe ya a drink! Can't say I've remember taking any of those trails except the first few miles of Yankee Hill (up to the 2nd cemetery past Central City) though I've been all around them. Spent a few weekends last fall enjoying the Aspen and Marble areas for the first time. Had a blast heading up to the Crystal Mill power station in an OHV, sort a what got me back on boards like TTORA and lead me here.

I'm soaking in the info and adding it to my research list. Good to hear a recommendation for RSG and Insain. I did not know of either shop. It's been years since I've done major work on any vehicles (an O2 or Cam Position Sensor here and there added my wired tow kit... but that is about it.) After seeing what is involved in the Body chop that would defiantly be something I would have to outsource. Might consider doing the suspension (on my 97, doubt I'd want to do it if I picked up something newer.)

Before this conversation I was considering the Toytec BOSS lift or a stage II Icon setup. Tried to call Toytec for some info but they were moving shops or something.

Thanks again
Boort

BertH2O

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

@Boort
There's nothing wrong with the Toytec stuff, and in all honesty their new 2.5 coilovers look pretty sweet! If you have time and are in the Denver area, just head over to their shop in north Denver. Ask for Hugo. They have some great setups for Tacomas and their rigs out front will give you an idea of what you may want to build your rig into. They also sell King and Fox I believe.

We are also so lucky to have so many vendors here around the Front Range. SPC which makes great UCA's is here in Denver, Insain Fab is in Thornton, RCI Offroad is in FoCo but moving down to Loveland, Addicted Offroad is in FoCo, Hefty Fab is in Co.Springs, SLEE Offroad is in Golden, Rokmen Off Road is in Littleton, and of course Toytec here in Denver too. If you ever have time, take a drive over to talk shop and your plans with any of them. These are all Toyota shops too, and most have Tacomas out front that belong to their staff.

Reactions: Boort