Rank II

Contributor III

Black Rock VIC, Australia
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Shaw
Member #

Had a couple of questions on long term travel, now I am retired and planning a long world trip.

I understand that a CdP issued here in Australia is valid for one year, which on application may be extended to 2 years. If I was to spend 18+ months in Africa and then want to ship my vehicle to South America and drive up to Alaska, would I have to first ship it back to Australia, apply for a new CdP and then ship to South America? Would I have to do the same again if I then wanted to do Europe and Middle East?

Many thanks

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@El-Dracho who can this member contact for help with this question

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
@El-Dracho who can this member contact for help with this question
I am on the road and will reply in more detail later. But in a nutshell, it is not necessary to ship home to extend the CdP. There are different possibilities for this with pros ans cons.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Hmm - if you are on your own you are unable to extend beyond 2 years. However if you are travelling as a couple then you can, at least in theory, handle this by taking out the CdP, extending for a year, then the other person takes out a new CdP on the vehicle, extends it for a year, and then so on... Now, I don't know the rules in Australia (AAA), however we've bought and sold a vehicle between three people over a three year period outside the home country with little trouble. You may be able to take out a new CdP without actually transferring ownership.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
When the CdP expires during the journey or the 25 pages are full you will need a follow-up carnet for your onward journey and apply with the same documents as for the initial application. You send the application again to the issuer a few weeks before it expires (please check with the issuer in charge of your home country how far in advance they need everything). Depending on the travel region, the deposit may also have to be increased. Usually, the issuer can also send the new carnet by courier to many countries around the world against reimbursement of the costs.

With the old CdP still valid, you then leave the current country, have it stamped out and enter the next country with the new carnet. In some countries it is also possible to have the new carnet stamped within the country. It is best to find out about this locally. Send the old carnet back to the issuer in the safest possible way. Please note that some issuer demand a copy of the first inside page of the new carnet, which contains the new stamps and the vehicle data.

Another option when the CdP expires is to extend it in the country where you are at that time. The extension is usually possible for up to three months but does not entitle you to travel on to another country. You must apply for this extension at the issuer and the local automobile club in the country (so it works only in countries where there is a FIA or AIT club) of travel about four to six weeks before the carnet expires. In some countries, special rules apply to the extension. In Australia, for example, we need the approval of the Australian customs authorities. The decision of the customs authority depends, among other things, on the period of validity of the personal visa. Just one example.

Handling of the CdP always sounds terribly complicated, but it's not. There are so many travelers on the road with it, you just have to familiarize yourself with it once. By the way, since North America and South America were also mentioned in the question, please check exactly where you really need the CdP an where not. We have a lot more information about the CdP in the OB boot camp article abot the CdP.

Reactions: Alanymarce

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
By the way, since North America and South America were also mentioned in the question, please check exactly where you really need the CdP an where not.
Bear in mind that there are two questions:

1) Do you need a CdP?
2) Do you want one?

For example: for Australia you have to have a CdP; for the "Americas" you don't need one but may choose to travel on a CdP anyway (as we do).

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Bear in mind that there are two questions:

1) Do you need a CdP?
2) Do you want one?

For example: for Australia you have to have a CdP; for the "Americas" you don't need one but may choose to travel on a CdP anyway (as we do).
If you use it in countries where it is not mandatory, pay particular attention to the correct handling at the border to avoid problems later on. This is because border officials are then not always familiar with it. At the borders, check and double-check that everything is done correctly. The repayment of your deposit or any customs claims depend on clean and proper documentation.

Reactions: Alanymarce