Long Term Overland Q&A

• HTML tutorial

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We have recently pulled off the road after 7 years, 4 were spent driving from Alaska to Argentina, and we wanted to start a thread for anyone that may have questions that are more specific to the long term lifestyle. While we only traveled through 17 countries, many of the questions we have fielded over the years are a bit more generic than country specific. We don't portend to know it all so we will do our best to either provide our advice or to point anyone to a resource that may be better suited to the question at hand. We know there are others on this forum that have similar experience so we encourage everyone to contribute as much as they can. To start if off here's a few common questions:

What was the hardest part?
Leaving. Even though we had made the decision to drive the Americas a year before we actually left, walking away from everything we had ever known was the most terrifying moment we had ever experienced. We have told many that the first 1/3 of full time travel happens before you ever hit the road. The second hardest was getting out of debt.

How did you afford it?
We saved for 7 years by cutting almost all of our spending and did everything we could to earn extra money. We dropped all services/subscriptions, paired down to a single vehicle, stopped eating out, downsized, sold everything we didn't need, visited family and friends for vacations (when we couldn't get extra work), and eventually I (John) worked two full-time jobs for almost a year. It wasn't easy but once we broke free from having debt our savings grew and it became very addictive to keep it going.

Do I need a 4x4?
No, but if you plan on running remote tracks or getting to some of the off-the-beaten places then yes. 4x4 is a tool, driving a nail with a wrench is possible but the results usually aren't very pretty. We recommend having a 4x4 but 2x4 VW vans (Kombi) are driving all over the American continents...and others as well. It comes down to your preferences and what you are comfortable doing. If you become a nervous wreck every time you leave the pavement, maybe drive something less capable (and more comfortable) and hire public transport for those harder to reach places. There is no shame in knowing your limits, in fact, quite the opposite.

Is it really a bunch of camping?
Depends. We spent 73% of our time in our van, the rest in some sort of accommodation. A friend of ours spent over 95% of her time in accommodations and didn't buy a RTT until Peru. We know of motorcyclists that didn't carry any camping gear, they only stayed in the available lodging. The world isn't as movie studio wild as we have been led to believe.

What about safety?
Again, that comes down to you and your preferences. If you aren't comfortable in a tent, don't get anything with tenting, maybe a hightop van or a full height truck camper. While we did have a couple instances that were tense or could have gone sideways, both times we had no issues and trusted our instincts. That is probably the most important unspoken rule. No matter what, if one member of the group isn't feeling it, you leave. No questions or convincing. Everyone must be comfortable and we all have differing abilities at reading situations, trust is the pillar that must be maintained. On the subject of firearms, it's illegal to carry them or even a single spent shell casing in many countries so unless you want the authentic experience of being jailed outside of the US...leave them in the States.

How did you not kill one another in such a small space?
This has also been presented as "my husband and I couldn't live that close together, how in the world do you do it?". Respect. Of course we've had our bad days, but we are closer today than we have ever been. The overland lifestyle is not for everyone, nor is vanlife, so maybe living in a vehicle isn't the best idea. Does that mean you cannot drive through other countries, of course not. Renting places and spending time in larger towns and cities can break up the stressful drives and provide the environment that better represents your relationship. There is no right way, everyone's trip is different.

Last edited:

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Great post and great way to start this thread....
You have some really good points and alot of truth about how individual travel can be.

Excellent info on the money, just work hard, save and focus on the goal and it really isn't very hard to put together a chunk of money. We find we spend less on the road than at home.

I have learned over the years that while I want the most capable "off road' vehicle in my mind...but back & butt really like having a comfy capable rig.
We have owned a wide variety of rigs from old school to brand new and for long travel a sleep inside and stand up setup really helps.
IMG_20200210_095914_948.jpg
20200808_103307.jpg

Borders are always "interesting" when we cross them and it helps to expect a full day and have no schedule, you are bound by someone else's schedule.
Have lots of copies and best if you leave home with some noterized copies, it is amazing how a stamp or seal makes a document more "real".

I always recommend folks do long trips in their home & border states where they travel very slow and "practice" to make sure water, hygiene, laundry, and places for everything are well sorted out.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
This is a very good topic and you have already given a lot of good advice. Great that you are sharing your own experiences. Thanks for that.

I have been on the road for a longer time three times the last few years (6 months, 9 months and once around 1 year). I am happy to contribute here as well.

However, much also depends on the own person. From the own feeling. Interesting, for example, is the different feeling, which concerns heading off. For the one-year trip, for example, we had even given up our apartment, canceled many contracts (insurance, etc.), etc. Some people get a certain uneasiness or panic then. This often because they are torn from the familiar and known environment, which offers (supposed) security. For me, on the other hand, the departure and the letting go of things and everyday life every time is a feeling of great freedom.

Everyone reacts differently and you should deal with that. Listen to yourself to find out how this works for you and do it the way it feels good for you.

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Hey guys this is a question about health insurance while on the road if not working for a company. I’m a type 1 diabetic so I’ll need to be able get my insulin and supplies if I go on the road. What are you guys using for health insurance if you have it and is it outrageously expensive? Thanks for any info

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
We didn't carry health insurance and just used the local pharmacies and doctors as needed. Several friends used World Nomads, some had no issue with claims and others did. Our major problem with the available policies at the time, probably different today, was things like snorkeling fell under extreme sports requiring a rather expensive plan to cover us. There are European providers that charge rates based on the country you are in, so while one is in El Salvador it would be cheaper than Mexico or the US since the rate is based on the actual price of health care costs for the country. I can't find my notes on the European providers so I must have deleted it, sorry.

As for medication, neither of us are on any prescriptions so we can't help in that regard. We can share that friends were on medications and worked with local Dr.s as well as their Dr. in the States to get prescriptions submitted to local pharmacies. One of them was able to buy a years worth in Central America as there weren't any restrictions on how many pills were being dispensed. The Dr. wrote the script for a year and the pharmacy filled it, they saved a ton of money. If you are seriously looking into being out of the country, look into a group that is specific to where you plan on traveling. For the Pan-American, there is the Pan-American Travelers Association FaceBook group. Asking on one of those groups should help you locate someone who specifically had to solve the acquisition of insulin and all of the necessary supplies. Worst case you'll have to visit a big city every now and then to work with a high end, and usually English speaking, doctor.

Hopefully someone else has more specific experience here.

Reactions: VST

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
We didn't carry health insurance and just used the local pharmacies and doctors as needed. Several friends used World Nomads, some had no issue with claims and others did. Our major problem with the available policies at the time, probably different today, was things like snorkeling fell under extreme sports requiring a rather expensive plan to cover us. There are European providers that charge rates based on the country you are in, so while one is in El Salvador it would be cheaper than Mexico or the US since the rate is based on the actual price of health care costs for the country. I can't find my notes on the European providers so I must have deleted it, sorry.

As for medication, neither of us are on any prescriptions so we can't help in that regard. We can share that friends were on medications and worked with local Dr.s as well as their Dr. in the States to get prescriptions submitted to local pharmacies. One of them was able to buy a years worth in Central America as there weren't any restrictions on how many pills were being dispensed. The Dr. wrote the script for a year and the pharmacy filled it, they saved a ton of money. If you are seriously looking into being out of the country, look into a group that is specific to where you plan on traveling. For the Pan-American, there is the Pan-American Travelers Association FaceBook group. Asking on one of those groups should help you locate someone who specifically had to solve the acquisition of insulin and all of the necessary supplies. Worst case you'll have to visit a big city every now and then to work with a high end, and usually English speaking, doctor.

Hopefully someone else has more specific experience here.
Thanks for the reply I wouldn’t be going out of the country except maybe into Canada so it would just be U.S. Based. Hey I see you live in maryville I’m in Morristown so right around the corner!

Reactions: John and Mandi

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Ha! We moved to Maryville from Mountain City this past Saturday and will be here for 3 months. We're already starting to look around for our next place but everyone keeps jacking rent up so we may end up in either NC or FL for the winter. The place we are in currently will go up by $250 per month, I think they were unhappy that we had already agreed to the lower price. We are digging TN but haven't found "the" spot yet, we did really like the Mountain City area and just outside Elizabethton is also really nice. We'd rather be up a mountain but all of those are still overpriced nightly airbnbs.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Thanks for the reply I wouldn’t be going out of the country except maybe into Canada so it would just be U.S. Based. Hey I see you live in maryville I’m in Morristown so right around the corner!
Wanted to add, there are forums dedicated to those on the road full time and they would be a great place for info specific for the US, Canada and Mexico.

Reactions: VST

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Ha! We moved to Maryville from Mountain City this past Saturday and will be here for 3 months. We're already starting to look around for our next place but everyone keeps jacking rent up so we may end up in either NC or FL for the winter. The place we are in currently will go up by $250 per month, I think they were unhappy that we had already agreed to the lower price. We are digging TN but haven't found "the" spot yet, we did really like the Mountain City area and just outside Elizabethton is also really nice. We'd rather be up a mountain but all of those are still overpriced nightly airbnbs.
Yes rent is crazy every where I moved up here from south Florida it’s definitely cheaper up here though than Florida

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Wow, I can’t sleep, been awake since 4 AM. This is a great thread btw. Our trip to Tuktoyaktuk has entirely changed our outlook on how we have been touring, which was basically when we figured neighbors, friends & the hired help got tired of looking after our home, it was time to head home. Heading home always emitted mixed feelings from both of us. I even started a thread- “ Is it time to turn the page? “ At first we thought, let’s sell the 80 series and the trailer as a package, put a nice big down on a Taco and mount a 4wheel camper atop it. That’s 80 grand, sitting in the barn, 9 months out of the year. 700+/- a month in payments? Last night? As I said, our trip up to Tuk has changed everything. I go down to my train room now and feel empty. I work in the garden or do maintenance around the house, and I feel empty. We go camping or hiking local and the empty feeling can be overwhelming. The term Limbo come to mind. We have only seen our old friends a couple of times since the trip, having discovered we have nothing in common. Our neighbors? Blech! Still, as stated by John and Mandi giving up our home will not be easy. 25 years of which 20 was spent restoring this 1914 jewel back to original. A little blood, a lot of sweat and a few tears later, it is a showpiece. Nonetheless, last night we decided to sell out, park half the equity, use the other half for a full time home on wheels. F250-Norweld Tray-4wheel Grandby pop up. Did I mention driving up to the Arctic Ocean changed everything? You only go around once. We want no regrets in 20 years. No woulda, shoulda, couldas. Thanks for reading.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Wow, I can’t sleep, been awake since 4 AM. This is a great thread btw. Our trip to Tuktoyaktuk has entirely changed our outlook on how we have been touring, which was basically when we figured neighbors, friends & the hired help got tired of looking after our home, it was time to head home. Heading home always emitted mixed feelings from both of us. I even started a thread- “ Is it time to turn the page? “ At first we thought, let’s sell the 80 series and the trailer as a package, put a nice big down on a Taco and mount a 4wheel camper atop it. That’s 80 grand, sitting in the barn, 9 months out of the year. 700+/- a month in payments? Last night? As I said, our trip up to Tuk has changed everything. I go down to my train room now and feel empty. I work in the garden or do maintenance around the house, and I feel empty. We go camping or hiking local and the empty feeling can be overwhelming. The term Limbo come to mind. We have only seen our old friends a couple of times since the trip, having discovered we have nothing in common. Our neighbors? Blech! Still, as stated by John and Mandi giving up our home will not be easy. 25 years of which 20 was spent restoring this 1914 jewel back to original. A little blood, a lot of sweat and a few tears later, it is a showpiece. Nonetheless, last night we decided to sell out, park half the equity, use the other half for a full time home on wheels. F250-Norweld Tray-4wheel Grandby pop up. Did I mention driving up to the Arctic Ocean changed everything? You only go around once. We want no regrets in 20 years. No woulda, shoulda, couldas. Thanks for reading.
Congrats! It sounds like you've hit the point of where not leaving would be a greater regret than going, happens to most of us. We do have to warn you, the disconnect from the people in your current life will become even greater. That said, you will make many new friends (as you probably already have) that see the world more as you do. Keep us posted and we can't wait to follow along.

Reactions: MOAK and K9LTW

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Picked out a vehicle this AM. 4-6 months lead time for an (changed our minds ) F-350. With the 350, payload will never be a concern with a 568lb tray and a 1400lb pop up. September the cruzer will be sold with the trailer and everything as a turn key adventure rig.

Frank1972

Rank I

Contributor III

North Carolina
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Sharpe
Picked out a vehicle this AM. 4-6 months lead time for an (changed our minds ) F-350. With the 350, payload will never be a concern with a 568lb tray and a 1400lb pop up. September the cruzer will be sold with the trailer and everything as a turn key adventure rig.
While you are waiting for your F-350, take a look at the Project M Topper from Four Wheel Campers. I've seen it on a couple of full sized trucks and it is a slick setup for a fraction of the weight of a slide-in.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
While you are waiting for your F-350, take a look at the Project M Topper from Four Wheel Campers. I've seen it on a couple of full sized trucks and it is a slick setup for a fraction of the weight of a slide-in.
I saw those and considered one, it's too small. The Norweld has tons of storage below the flatbed. I'm done building stuff. Been building stuff out for 25 years. I built out a Jeep Sport, a Rubicon, an 80 series LC, and our expo trailer was a multiple year long process and we overland vehicle achieved nirvana about 4 years ago. I and my wife, are ready for a turn key, full time set up. Get the 350 chassis, Use Mainline Overland to install the Norweld and the Grandby. Go pick it up, load it up and go. Thanks for your suggestion, If we were not selling out and going full time, I'd probably get one of those. Sorry to hijack this thread. I'll get back to topic.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
I saw those and considered one, it's too small. The Norweld has tons of storage below the flatbed. I'm done building stuff. Been building stuff out for 25 years. I built out a Jeep Sport, a Rubicon, an 80 series LC, and our expo trailer was a multiple year long process and we overland vehicle achieved nirvana about 4 years ago. I and my wife, are ready for a turn key, full time set up. Get the 350 chassis, Use Mainline Overland to install the Norweld and the Grandby. Go pick it up, load it up and go. Thanks for your suggestion, If we were not selling out and going full time, I'd probably get one of those. Sorry to hijack this thread. I'll get back to topic.
No sweat from me, I'm not a thread purist and think mixed topics are way more useful...also, this thread sees very little engagement.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
No sweat from me, I'm not a thread purist and think mixed topics are way more useful...also, this thread sees very little engagement.
Cool, you guys are a plethora of information. How does one tell family members of one’s plans? Our daughters and son-in-law are 100% behind us. If we need anything they are gonna step up and support us. We knew they would be. But the rest of my in laws? They’re gonna freak out. We even think that my brother in law may not allow us to us his address as our home address for keeping the vehicles registered and our drivers lisence up to date. Not to mention there are no state income taxes levied on pensions, IRAs or social security. Is bluntness our friend? I’m thinking when our current gear is sold, that might be the time, but that’ll be really close to the 4 sale sign going up on the house. Then it’ll be- why didn’t you tell us!? Truth of the matter is, we’ve been telling them for 10 or 15 years, they just haven’t been listening. We just don’t want to hurt anyone.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
In our opinion, the earlier the better. You will end up with having more conversations about where and when your untimely death will occur but time tends to soften it as your departure approaches. I, John, am the talker and I'm known to be candid so blunt works for me. But...you definitely want to leave under the best terms so do whatever works best for each particular family member or tell everyone all at once at a family gathering (feed the gossip tree a little). Besides a mailing address you will want a proxy to handle all of the communication for the rest of the family, my sister served as both but it doesn't have to be that way. You could have one of your daughters be your point person but your sister as your mailing address, can even stress the importance and need (maybe mentioning the big help it would also be regarding taxes) to hopefully bring your brother-in-law around. If he has any ancillary experience or expertise that could help before and/or during your travels, go ahead and start using him. The more people learn about where you are going and what you are planning to do the less they will think you're going into the deep recesses of the Amazon to live amongst the cannibals. The every day person's idea of what the rest of the world is like couldn't be further from the truth. While there are remote places with indigenous people...cell phones, satellite TV, beer, and Coca-Cola have dominated everywhere.

There is a really good but older e-book titled Don't Go There. It's Not Safe. You'll Die. And Other More Rational Advice for Overlanding Mexico and Central America. Not sure if you are planning to drive the Americas but the title says it all. A lot of the info in the book is dated, getting SIMs etc, but it's a decent guide for anyone to read. The e-book or other books about driving around the world might help ease you BIL's concerns and help him understand what multi-country overlanding is about. There are a ton of blogs and YouTube channels as well. It's so dangerous people are recording, editing, and publishing videos while they are driving it. Common sense should prevail, it might just take some work to get him to come around.

If Florida happens to be the state you use for your address I can tell you how to keep from paying vehicle insurance if you drive out of the country. There isn't an inoperable vehicle status here and some form of insurance is required to keep legal registration. Also on your rig, see if you can get it titled/registered as an RV. In some countries you'll get a longer duration on your Temporary Import Permit (TIP) and it will prevent an issue some have with commercial weight limit vehicles when entering Mexico. Mexico is one of the countries that is very RV friendly, giving RVs 10 years, and is also one of the easiest countries to overland (also has actual campgrounds all the way to Belize). Even if your plan is to just explore the US and Canada, you'll end up in Mexico at some point.

Hope this helps and feel free to keep asking questions.

Reactions: MOAK