Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

i was driving around out to eastern long island yesturday, and i saw a access gate 3 on the side of the road so i turned around and of course i needed to explore it, i went in and there was about 8 miles of trails in that spot, found out it is for a hither hills(state park) offroad beach access trails north. it was sweet, id reccommend anyone in long island ny to check it out, but after i left i saw a sign at access trail 2 that you need a state 4x4 offroad beach permit. hope you can all enjoy

C27A9F21-6E95-43A3-A13B-577C0FDCBA73.jpeg 0DC3FFC5-8D1B-483C-9AFD-40C7E6892889.jpeg 7FFC8DAC-AAFC-4A4F-B377-80D7A8972A6C.jpeg 69E33FD6-4BD7-4925-84E7-6758F5BBCBCD.jpeg

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

i was driving around out to eastern long island yesturday, and i saw a access gate 3 on the side of the road so i turned around and of course i needed to explore it, i went in and there was about 8 miles of trails in that spot, found out it is for a hither hills(state park) offroad beach access trails north. it was sweet, id reccommend anyone in long island ny to check it out, but after i left i saw a sign at access trail 2 that you need a state 4x4 offroad beach permit. hope you can all enjoy

View attachment 40560 View attachment 40559 View attachment 40558 View attachment 40557
Nice little find. Have you ever considered putting the fishing rods facing backwards versus forwards? If they ever caught on a tree it might be a snapped rod.

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

Nice little find. Have you ever considered putting the fishing rods facing backwards versus forwards? If they ever caught on a tree it might be a snapped rod.
thank you and i honestly never thought of that, i usually throw them on rod foward, but i think im going to face them the opposite way as u pointed that out, i didnt even think of that so thank you for looking out

Reactions: HEYElliott

GreggNY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Westchester County, NY
Member #

Looks like a fun ride. Was there an actual gate that was just open at the time you went? I’ve seen a couple gates to park/forest roads out east that are opened during hunting season to allow access but locked other times of the year. Hopefully this one is always open but just a heads up to anyone that might be taking a drive to check it out. I’ve been disappointed a couple times finding what look like nice long trails on google earth and then coming face to face with a locked gate right off the pavement.

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

Looks like a fun ride. Was there an actual gate that was just open at the time you went? I’ve seen a couple gates to park/forest roads out east that are opened during hunting season to allow access but locked other times of the year. Hopefully this one is always open but just a heads up to anyone that might be taking a drive to check it out. I’ve been disappointed a couple times finding what look like nice long trails on google earth and then coming face to face with a locked gate right off the pavement.
there was one gate that was closed but access 2 and 3 trails have no gates on them, i went through 3 and then 2

Traveler I

Nice spot! If you don't have a permit (like me because the deadline was on the first), there are random places to explore out east. These spots were just from looking on google maps and driving there. None of the places had gates or anything.

Reactions: Julio

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

Nice spot! If you don't have a permit (like me because the deadline was on the first), there are random places to explore out east. These spots were just from looking on google maps and driving there. None of the places had gates or anything.

alot of people out there? off a highway? i saw your video on facebook looks awesome

Reactions: Christian Giannotti

Traveler I

alot of people out there? off a highway? i saw your video on facebook looks awesome
Hey sorry for the late response, i saw no one there. I went to shoreham and went around the perimeter of the rocky point state area and found a field that had a trail around it (the muddy part of the vid) and the spot between power-lines was off the LIE exit that intersects with edwards ave before calverton. There was much more I couldve explored, the powerline area kept going on. As for the farms I saw a few other trucks and people.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Louie559

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Long Island, Ny
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Rom
Member #

Hey sorry for the late response, i saw no one there. I went to shoreham and went around the perimeter of the rocky point state area and found a field that had a trail around it (the muddy part of the vid) and the spot between power-lines was off the LIE exit that intersects with edwards ave before calverton. There was much more I couldve explored, the powerline area kept going on. As for the farms I saw a few other trucks and people.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
sweet i might have to go and check that out when i get a chance thanks!

Reactions: Christian Giannotti

DankVectorz

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm in Huntington. I have a beach pass and Fridays off from work. If anyone wants to go wheeling on some of these trails hit me up! I've only lived on LI a couple years and don't have any wheelin buddies. I've got a 2015 Sierra 1500. It's stock for now but should be lifted by next year along with a bunch of other goodies.

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

This is fantastic, my 9 yr old daughter has been absolutely hounding me to take a trip to NYC. I was planning on surprising her next year but thus far the extent of my planning has been looking at taking the Cross Sound Ferry onto the Island from Connecticut, renting a place an hour or so from the city and taking the rail in. Never even occured to me that there was any sort of offroad exploring on Long Island. This changes things immensely. Time to start researching....tips from locals always appreciated as well.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

This is fantastic, my 9 yr old daughter has been absolutely hounding me to take a trip to NYC. I was planning on surprising her next year but thus far the extent of my planning has been looking at taking the Cross Sound Ferry onto the Island from Connecticut, renting a place an hour or so from the city and taking the rail in. Never even occured to me that there was any sort of offroad exploring on Long Island. This changes things immensely. Time to start researching....tips from locals always appreciated as well.
I live in New York and used to work in the city, but I live north of the city. There are a lot of nice roads to explore through Western New York and the Catskill Mountains if you come across that way.