Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Franklin
Hi All,

I've been doing some research on places to go in Long Island and it looks like unless I have some gear (tires, tow straps, and fishing gear) and a beach permit there's not really any place to go. Plus I have a tiny 1-person 13 year old ground tent so Im not sure how fun it is to camp on the beach in a ground tent, all I can imagine is sand everywhere. Anyone know if any of the campgrounds are worth going to on the Island to do a test run? I haven't been out in a long time and would like to test out my gear not too far from home. It seems like most places around here don't allow tent camping or dogs. There's some places like 1-2 hours away but it's a little intimidating to go on my own with untested gear.

Thanks in advance.

lordnoak

Rank 0

Contributor I

Long Island, New York, USA
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Franklin
That is pretty much what I thought. :tearsofjoy:

OK just so I can share a summary of what I may have already found here and other places. It is probably on this forum too, so sorry if it is a repost. There's really no place to go on Long Island except the beaches. Hither Hills in Montauk appears to be a popular area. You have to get a permit which I think most people just use to camp. You have to have a fishing rod and some other equipment to be allowed on the beaches.

Here is the rules: https://parks.ny.gov/regions/attachments/20184x4FishingAccessGuide.pdf

Now when I first saw this info I was confused because why would I want to go fishing if I am looking for camping? The reason is people are "fishing" as in they get the rod, reel, tackle and then they camp--ahem, I mean, "night fish." There is a group on facebook called Long Island Overlanders and they seem very friendly people. I haven't worked up the nerve to meet them as I'm still new and don't have most of the gear necessary to hit the beach. I've received mixed messages if dogs are allowed on the beaches while "fishing overnight" but if I find out for sure I'll post it.

If you find access roads for the powerlines, which I have seen some videos of, then just be aware that those are not legal places to drive. Some locals have chimed in on those threads saying you can get in trouble for driving in those places. Other access roads are privately owned or farmlands.

Last edited: