Long bed or short bed?

• HTML tutorial

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

20161029_143748.jpg I personally have a short bed but my long cab makes up the difference. It really comes down to what your plans for the vehicle are. I do get off-road often and tackle trails more technical than I probably should in such a large rig. I stepped up to 37" tires fro the added ground clearance to make up for the wheelbase. This eventually led to re-gearing for proper shifting and power management. I bought the vehicle that fit my passenger/cargo space needs first and modified it to meet my trail/off road expectations second. It comes down to what you plan to do with the truck. Think long and hard about what you truly want out of your truck and what you're willing to spend to make it meet your needs/expectations, this will lead you to the answer to your question.

Reactions: canadianoverlanders

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

View attachment 28500 I personally have a short bed but my long cab makes up the difference. It really comes down to what your plans for the vehicle are. I do get off-road often and tackle trails more technical than I probably should in such a large rig. I stepped up to 37" tires fro the added ground clearance to make up for the wheelbase. This eventually led to re-gearing for proper shifting and power management. I bought the vehicle that fit my passenger/cargo space needs first and modified it to meet my trail/off road expectations second. It comes down to what you plan to do with the truck. Think long and hard about what you truly want out of your truck and what you're willing to spend to make it meet your needs/expectations, this will lead you to the answer to your question.
That isn't a midsize truck.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

That isn't a midsize truck.
I realize mine is not a midsize truck. The overall basis of the question comes down to wheelbase and the effect it will have on the off-pavement capabilities. My response would have been the same no matter what my personal vehicle choice is and I was in no way insinuating the original poster to change his preference in vehicle. A midsize truck may fit his needs and wants perfectly which is what we all want out of our rigs. His question was about the difference in wheelbase and changes that would need to be made to offset the longer wheelbase. I simply pointed out that in my situation to overcome the wheelbase I needed to step up tire size quite a bit to meet my expectations and the additional modifications that went with the tire size change.

Reactions: minuteman55