Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I have been using Quick Fists for some time to hold my shovel and Pulaski, but they really aren’t designed to hold up to all the dang brush I wind up plowing through and eventually they rip apart. I would like to replace them with something more durable, and while I’m at it, wondering about getting something that locks. There are a few choices, but they all seem expensive for what they are. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Iv never tried it but in the electrical field, we have things called “minis”. They are designed to attach a conduit to a wall or something. They usually come with a screw and nut but I’m sure if you replace the nut with a wingnut, it could be used to hold a shovel or something.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Lindenwood

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

My question would be removing the tool. If it'll slide out, will it clamp the tool in place. If you fit one side with a small hinge, it may work better. Just my thoughts, Ron

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
It’s flexible Say if a shovel handle was one inch in diameter. You could get a one inch mini. You open the clamp slightly to get the tool in and tighten the screw or wing nut. Thinking about it, it may get weak or misshapen over time with opening and closing

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Thank you for that thought. I’ll keep it in mind.

The Demon

Rank II
Launch Member

Member II

Roseville, CA
Member #

I have a locking holder that i mounted to the inner bedside of my truck to hold my axe and shovel, has held up quite well considering i am using the axe daily for work right now... I can dig up a picture of it

Sent from my VS988 using OB Talk mobile app

ob4838

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah
Member #

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have largely settled on requiring tools to remove external gear, even if just a multi-tool. I would imagine only a small minority of would-be thieves travel around with a tool set, so requiring a wrench or ratchet to loosen mounting bolts could provide a little of peace-of-mind for short stops. Of course, Id still be leery of, for example, leaving the rig in front of a motel overnight with anything less than a padlock holding my stuff on the outside of my rig. 20180704_171204_crop_640x640.jpg

That said, I would second @theorangekl with something like he mentioned, keeping the original nut and bolt. I honestly might try that, in fact.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Iv never tried it but in the electrical field, we have things called “minis”. They are designed to attach a conduit to a wall or something. They usually come with a screw and nut but I’m sure if you replace the nut with a wingnut, it could be used to hold a shovel or something.

Great idea and cheap!

Jim