Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

Looking at the routes provided by UT Backroad Discovery Routes, it has both the Lockhart and La Sal sections rated as "expert". I know this is intended for moto, but how is it for 4x4? would I need a spotter for either of those sections?
This is the area between Arches NP and Monticello.

Local knowledge would be helpful!

Thanks,

-Chris

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Chris, what are you driving? I'll tell you if I think you could do Lockhart Basin once I understand that. I used to have a JKU with a 2.5" lift on 35" tires and would feel very comfortable taking it on - except for the really narrow part - in that. In my Tacoma with a 3" lift and 33" tires? No. I won't try it. That doesn't mean it wouldn't make it; just that it wouldn't be fun for me. I'd be dragging the tail and bumping the nose too much.

I just did the UTBDR Sections 1-3 (10-13 July 2020) in my Tacoma, but chose to pass on Lockhart Basin and get up into the La Sal Mountains, instead.

I've done a lot of desert driving, so was excited to see the alpine zone around Moab and was STUNNED by how beautiful it was. We camped at Medicine Lake, near the top of the pass. Going down was steep and rocky headed into Moab and took quite a while - about 3 hours, if I recall - because we had to wait for a Tundra that was with us to squeeze around the close brush on the sides of the trail toward the middle and bottom of the pass.

Let me know, and we can talk more specifics.