First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4WCJ
Hello Rocky Mountain Region,

Was hoping to find someone 'local' to Colorado's Great Sand dunes. My wife and I are hoping to go there tomorrow, but need some advise on IF we should attempt the Medano pass pulling our trailer.

The rig is fully worthy in my mind, not even questioning that part... BUT... after the scare tactics on the phone with the parks 'call center', they did all they could to make us concerned about going. Including letting us know that if we get stuck we will be fined, and we will pay a minimum charge of $1200 to a wrecker service.

I am 90% sure it's a non-issue... BUT... I know enough to know that soft sand should never be underestimated either. In my mind, air down to 20psi, 4 lo, and trust the wrangler duratrac tires to do their job. If someone could help, who has direct and recent knowledge of the area... Would be VERY appreciated.

One thought that came to me... I could come in from the North, find a campsite, drop the trailer, then head into the park.
GaiaGPS Route Idea

Thanks!!!

Jeep with Trailer.jpg

Trailer info: Dominator - Pop Up Campers - Black Series

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
The only place of real concern is the sand inside the park. As long as you keep momentum you should be fine. However, if you were to come upon traffic that caused you to stop I can see where something bad might happen. Aggressive tires aren't always the best combination in sand because they dig. Sometimes a high flotation low tread tire is better. Scouting ahead as you've suggested would be wise. I would also try to make the drive through the park during a low traffic time of day. Saturday during peak tourist season could be ugly.

Which way are you coming from?

Aaron Parker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Stem, NC
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4WCJ
The only place of real concern is the sand inside the park. As long as you keep momentum you should be fine. However, if you were to come upon traffic that caused you to stop I can see where something bad might happen. Aggressive tires aren't always the best combination in sand because they dig. Sometimes a high flotation low tread tire is better. Scouting ahead as you've suggested would be wise. I would also try to make the drive through the park during a low traffic time of day. Saturday during peak tourist season could be ugly.

Which way are you coming from?
We are currently north of the dunes, in Colorado Springs. Which is why I might just come in through road/trails from the north instead of the park to the south.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We are currently north of the dunes, in Colorado Springs. Which is why I might just come in through road/trails from the north instead of the park to the south.
I would definitely come in from the northeast if you're planning to run Medano Pass regardless.

Reactions: Aaron Parker

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Yeah Niel is correct. The trail going through the park itself would be nothing to leave to chance. With a trailer the odds of getting bogged down and stuck it pretty good and most of that trail is narrow, not a lot of room to pass.