Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I started building this little 4' HF-type trailer about 10 years ago. Here's where it is at so far. I would say "I'm done", but projects like these are never done. I'd still like to mount a hand-brake to the trailer (need to pull the drums and see if they are set-up for it).

The tongue has been extended and has a 2" receiver up front for a lunette ring, the factory overly-stiff slipper springs have been swapped out (now has longer springs with shackles at the back), frame reinforced, the axle is now a 3500lb axle with electric brakes & shock absorbers; tires are 235/75/15" on 15x7" rims. The box is just a custom made diamond plate box with a hinged lid (no fancy slide-outs or tailgate). There's a tray up front with a cooler strapped down, and Jeep YJ bumperettes on the back (along with a 2" receiver hitch and D-ring). And a bunch of stuff bolted all over the trailer tub (propane cylinder, shovel, axe, high-lift, gas cans...). The RTT is really just a Cabela's double tent-cot bolted to the lid with a custom cover (and it's actually pretty comfortable sleeping inside the tent, but not a lot of headroom). Let me know if you have any questions.

This trailer has literally thousands of miles on it (probably over 10,000 the last six months alone - I'm not kidding) and has never failed me. It is relatively light, and pulls very nicely, especially behind my four cylinder TJ.

Here's a build thread if you're interested (it is long): Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - JeepForum.com

Overland Adventure.1 (2).jpgcamping.1 (2).jpg

Overland Adventure.7.jpg

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I started building this little 4' HF-type trailer about 10 years ago. Here's where it is at so far.

The tongue has been extended, the springs swapped out (longer springs with shackles at the back), frame reinforced, the axle is now a 3500lb axle with electric brakes, shock absorbers; tires are 235/75/15" on 15x7" rims. The box is just a custom made diamond plate box with a hinged lid (no fancy slide-outs or tailgate). There's a tray up front with a cooler strapped down, and Jeep YJ bumperettes on the back (along with a 2" receiver hitch and d-ring). And a bunch of stuff bolted all over the trailer tub (propane cylinder, shovel, axe, high-lift, gas cans...). The RTT is really just a Cabela's tent-cot with a custom cover bolted to the lid. Let me know if you have any questions.

This trailer has literally thousands of miles on it (probably over 10,000 the last six months alone - I'm not kidding) and has never failed me.

Here's a build thread if you're interested (it is long): Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread - JeepForum.com

View attachment 139658View attachment 139659
Pretty slick. Good looking, too! Great job, man. I bet it's a treat to use, and a source of real satisfaction.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I remember seeing you start this build about the same time I sold my XJ. I lived in upstate New York back then lol.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Pretty slick. Good looking, too! Great job, man. I bet it's a treat to use, and a source of real satisfaction.

Thanks!

I love this thing; I get a lot of use out of it. There's only so much you can put in the back (or on top of) a Jeep TJ. This trailer really lets me take what I need to enjoy myself when on one of my adventures. Sometimes it is the little things (or not so little things) you're able to bring with you that make a difference in your adventure experience. Even though the tub is only 40" x 50" (just over 4' long), it is amazing how much stuff you can put into one of these things. Or bolt to the front/back/sides/top like I've done. I made sure it was tall enough to be able to stack two 8-gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers on top of each other.

Sometimes if I've got the kayak on the Jeep's top, I'll put the X-Bulls on the trailer's lid (see picture). Plenty of room under the tent.

It was fun to build it and make it how I wanted/needed it. It draws attention, but it is also extremely functional. I'd be happy to help anyone who's interested in making one for themselves (check out the link in the first post - it is long but very thorough).

CA pre-run.2 (3).jpg

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've been following the thread over on JeepForum for a long time. Inspired me to build one which I got as far as converted my 8 foot folder to a 6 foot non folding flatbed but did upgrade axle/wheels and what not. Currently looking at upgrading the springs next to some standard type dual eye springs instead of the slipper springs. When I need it for travel I just strap boxes to it and use it that way.

Yours is looking great. I'm glad I've been around to watch the progression over time.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
With my head up of course! Although by morning usually I've slid downhill and I'm all scrunched up at the bottom.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Nice build. It looks like mine only diamond plate, cleaner and more stuff bolted on. I cant access your build thread at work but it looks like it might be a good read. I'm starting a new build and keep wanting to add in things I see others doing. Never done.
Your comment on the park brake, you can look at the backing plate and tell if its set up for one. You don't have to pull it apart. If its a Dexter axle, they have a lever on the back. Others may have the same or a 1\2 "- 9/19 hole in the back for the cable to run through. Most manufactures only add the pieces if you request it. On my Dexter axle, they shipped it without the park brake feature. They had to send new backing plates and it was just 4 bolts to swap out. To convert yours you would just swap out the backing plates. I'll be adding it into my small trailer later.