Little Green Chuckbox

• HTML tutorial

ethernectar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, CA
Member #

I've been camping out of my yellow chuckbox for a few years. It was built for a larger Coleman stove and carried pretty much everything I may need. Quite a bit of stuff that I didn't really ever use. It was a bit heavy, but it worked really well.

CampKitchen_axialFest by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

I changed to a Cook Partner stove a couple years ago, which was more compact than the Coleman. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I traded my Tundra in for a low mileage 200 series. Now I'm going through all my camp gear looking for ways to minimize all the stuff, yet still have some of the comforts that make camping more enjoyable. Time to make a smaller chuckbox!

Its made of 1/4" birch ply with oak 1/4 rounds at the inside corners, glued and nailed together with brads.

LittleGreenChuckbox_03 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Stove is a snug fit, I pretty much built it as I went, should have put the shelf about 1/4" lower.

LittleGreenChuckbox_05 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

White on the inside, forest green on the outside. As convenient and easy as latex paint is, there's nothing quite like oil-based enamel.

LittleGreenChuckbox_08b by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Can't wait to see what this thing looks like in a year or two, the brass hardware will take on a nice patina. I'm going to put trip/destination stickers on this one mark the date with a metallic sharpie. I wish I had done the trip/date thing on the yellow one.

LittleGreenChuckbox_11 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Finished!

LittleGreenChuckbox_16 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Sorting out the contents.

LittleGreenChuckbox_18 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

And loaded.

LittleGreenChuckbox_19 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
I've been camping out of my yellow chuckbox for a few years. It was built for a larger Coleman stove and carried pretty much everything I may need. Quite a bit of stuff that I didn't really ever use. It was a bit heavy, but it worked really well.

CampKitchen_axialFest by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

I changed to a Cook Partner stove a couple years ago, which was more compact than the Coleman. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I traded my Tundra in for a low mileage 200 series. Now I'm going through all my camp gear looking for ways to minimize all the stuff, yet still have some of the comforts that make camping more enjoyable. Time to make a smaller chuckbox!

Its made of 1/4" birch ply with oak 1/4 rounds at the inside corners, glued and nailed together with brads.

LittleGreenChuckbox_03 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Stove is a snug fit, I pretty much built it as I went, should have put the shelf about 1/4" lower.

LittleGreenChuckbox_05 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

White on the inside, forest green on the outside. As convenient and easy as latex paint is, there's nothing quite like oil-based enamel.

LittleGreenChuckbox_08b by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Can't wait to see what this thing looks like in a year or two, the brass hardware will take on a nice patina. I'm going to put trip/destination stickers on this one mark the date with a metallic sharpie. I wish I had done the trip/date thing on the yellow one.

LittleGreenChuckbox_11 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Finished!

LittleGreenChuckbox_16 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

Sorting out the contents.

LittleGreenChuckbox_18 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr

And loaded.

LittleGreenChuckbox_19 by Matt Frederick, on Flickr
That is pretty cool..