Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

It really depends what you picture when you talk about "off road" and "trails" and assuming you are being reasonable in those expectations I would say the biggest hurdle will be weather. My dad used to take his rwd van way down a dirt trail (double track) on a ranch for hunting. Never a problem in dry conditions, but if it snowed or rained while hunting it was an absolute nightmare trying to get out. Later with a 4x4 it was never an issue. Also, I don't drive our work trucks "off road" here but if we get a heavy snow or really icy conditions I simply can not get around some parts of site in 2wd.

I wouldn't worry about heading down forestry roads or good logging trails in dry conditions with a good weather forecast but a little rain or snow can really change the game for you.

You CAN use a big adjustable wrench as a hammer, but if you were getting into the carpentry trade you would buy a proper hammer right?
I can second this. My first experience with 2WD in wet condutions was using my old 2WdD S10 over a long weekend to bring a bunch of lumber into my parents' back yard. On the 2nd day, it rained, and I got stuck on flat ground in the middle of ghe yard. Yes, MTs and airing down and a locket could have helped, or pretty much any 4WD (or AWD) vehicle.

Basically, I can definitely second how dramatically a little rain can put a 2WD in its place.

Damn I just read some of the reviews I know this is old but this made me feel like Rosa parks I should just go to the back of the bus shut up
....Lol whaa?

Just catching up with this thread while contemplating the 2wd/AWD/4wd scenarios and ended up with the following output.

Understand the limitations of both yours and the vehicles capabilities, balance those with the conditions.
Personal view is capable 2wd pilot can traverse a trail far more lightly than an idiot in a 4wd. The amount of crap you carry makes a huge difference as well...tread lightly by travelling lightly

Chris Scott, author of Sahara Overland covers using 2wd for desert in that very tome for a useful, considered, point of reference.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Just catching up with this thread while contemplating the 2wd/AWD/4wd scenarios and ended up with the following output.

Understand the limitations of both yours and the vehicles capabilities, balance those with the conditions.
Personal view is capable 2wd pilot can traverse a trail far more lightly than an idiot in a 4wd. The amount of crap you carry makes a huge difference as well...tread lightly by travelling lightly

Chris Scott, author of Sahara Overland covers using 2wd for desert in that very tome for a useful, considered, point of reference.
Great advice! Not so sure we tread lightly - our 1999 F250 7.3 power stroke weighs in at 8,300 pounds outfitted but without food, water, camping gear and some tools I only put in for camping.

But with the torque of the 7.3 and the auto trans I do not have to rev it up much and a good steady pace of 20 miles an hour or so in sand works well.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I can second this. My first experience with 2WD in wet condutions was using my old 2WdD S10 over a long weekend to bring a bunch of lumber into my parents' back yard. On the 2nd day, it rained, and I got stuck on flat ground in the middle of ghe yard. Yes, MTs and airing down and a locket could have helped, or pretty much any 4WD (or AWD) vehicle.

Basically, I can definitely second how dramatically a little rain can put a 2WD in its place.

....Lol whaa?
With wet grass - it is best to stay off till dry with any vehicle if you like the yard.

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

Well said, also, I think its important to take into consideration what your goals are. If you want to take a couple day/week trip and travel outside of your local terrain where your unfamiliar with what obstacles could be presented and want to have the ability to tackle whatever comes your way... then yes 4wd is the best way to go. If your planning your trips and don't intend to traverse through the wilderness then a 2wd will get you to some nice spots as well. My 04 pre-runner will traverse some decently steep hills in the local area without having to use the locker and on street tires, but make that same hill damp and it won't happen! I don't try to get to deep where the jeeps go and I don't have any issues.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Top consideration for any vehicle should be tread lightly. AWD with 3 open diffs is a great start. Each limited slip adds to the ability to tread lightly and protect the watershed. But part time 4WD with lockers will tear up more sensitive terrain than a responsibly driven 2WD will.

4WD and Selectable Lockers are only great if you know when to get back into 2WD to let the wheels turn thru the diffs to match the speed of the terrain they are traversing.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Depends on terrain. Notice the pro 2wd posters are from a dry arid climate, or talking about desert buggies and dunes. Not east coast mud and snow.

-In about 50 days a 2wd Tundra won't be able to get in and out of my perfectly level paved driveway. No way, no how.

-Stick to gravel park roads? I nearly got stuck 3 days ago crossing a gravel road with fist sized gravel, but soft mud underneath. Needed 4wd and some skill to get through that. It looked easy as heck, I would have decided to cross it in a pos gm express van, if I was still stuck in one of those for work. And surely would have been stuck miles of road.

-Tow trucks don't go off road anymore. You're on your own if you get stuck. Your average overlanding friend won't notice that you've fallen behind, and then will get lost when he turns around to find you. The ''buddy system'' fails again.

-Never underestimate how slick the clay under wet grass may be. No 4wd here can cross my yard in the spring without completely obliterating it. A 2wd Tundra would only make it 2 feet before getting stuck.

-Without switching to 4wd, my rear elocker rarely helps. So go for tires chains first.

I'd stick to regular camping, or sell the 2wd. Forget east coast trails.

stokesrm

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Murrieta, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Rear locker, good tires, maybe suspension upgrades can get you pretty far off road.
Not letting ego get the best of you, and turning around before you cross the point of no return is one of the most important things to keep in mind.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I agree wholeheartedly! (a few pics from a recent trip to Coyote Flats/Funnel Lake and Brooklyn Mine in Joshua Tree.)

NOTE: I will never attempt something that requires "a running start."

The locker certainly helps!

IMG_5788 (2).jpg

217563934_10225140377127725_4796150066591341200_n.jpg
IMG_5947 (1).jpeg

3CE3EE4F-C7B2-4917-A3B3-79EC990ED88D.jpg

IMG_3576.jpeg

Last edited: