Limitations of a 2WD Truck

• HTML tutorial

SNJTundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Let’s try this again. I never said don’t go off-road. I cautioned about over confidence as illustrated by the example of a guy in a sedan who had done it before so he can do it again. The hazards and considerations to venture out in a 2WD are greater than a comparable 4WD vehicle. A previous post gave an example of a trail with dry conditions. Take that same trail in a thunderstorm or snow and it becomes a whole different scenario.

This debate was first brought to my attention around 2007 when Jeep offered a 2WD Wrangler, which was insane to most of us Jeep loyalists. There was many a post on a Jeep forum by those who said they either didn’t need 4WD or could do everything most every 4WD Wranglers could do. Over time, the most vocal defenders of 2WD Wranglers traded them in for a 4WD Wrangler and never regretted it. Jeep also realized their mistake and discontinued the 2WD option in the Wrangler.

It may not always be practical when overlanding, but it is always best to go out with another vehicle and this is especially true when off-roading in a 4WD vehicle because of the susceptibility of being over confident because of the vehicles capabilities. But my point was a 2WD vehicle cannot compete with a 4WD and the driver will find themselves in trouble more quickly in conditions a 4WD would navigate effortlessly. There are plenty of times we head out in 2WD and never shift to 4WD, but we know we always have that options as conditions dicatate and change. Add to that winches and other recovery gear that allow for self-recovery or assisting another.

To the OP, the bottom line and my point was know your limits. And if you are going to push those limits, it’s not wise to do it alone. Get to know the capabilities of you and your vehicle. You also need to make a choice to equip your current vehicle to make it more capable (tires, lift, recovery gear, etc.) or limit the upgrades to save money with the goal of purchasing a 4WD vehicle. I assume, and that can be dangerous, by asking the question about the limits of 2WD in first place mean you are thinking about it and the idea of a 4WD vehicle is certainly of interest
Hey thanks for the time you put into all of your responses. I understand what you are saying about having to be more cautious in a 2WD and why it would be better to upgrade to a 4wd. When circumstances allow for it, I probably will upgrade just so I don't have to have these uncertainties. When I bought this truck I was a full-time student working my way through college with no interest in going off the pavement, so I could not justify putting out the extra money for a 4wd. I have now since paid my truck off and want to hang onto it for this soon-to-be next chapter in my life (marriage and house). So what I really wanted to know was, from someone who has never once gone out to explore, what my real limitations would be. And collectively from all these posts it seems, aside from the obvious of getting a 4wd, that I definitely need to bring a buddy, keep recovery gear on me, be respectful of the trail, be extra cautious, know the terrains, etc.

joel chambers

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Creekwood Drive, Lancaster, TX, USA
First Name
joel
Last Name
chambers
Member #

Even with all the back and forth I found this thread useful. I too have a tacoma 2wd but purchased a 4runner all wheel drive few months back. Just last week I was in Utah, capital Reef National Park, only having a Chevy Malibu and found myself in some spots that a higher clearance vehicle would have been preferred. I will say I just got lucky at times that I did not get hung up or stuck in soft sand however knowing what to avoid and how to get around it as well as taking it slow proves a point that you don't always need to have 4-wheel drive. You do need to know your limits example when I got to a river crossing I decided to turn around in that push my luck. Sometimes you just have to take a chance and doing so you can see some of the most beautiful parts of the country.
20171124_151638.jpg20171124_140100.jpg20171124_142301.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: MBroenkow

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

It really depends what you picture when you talk about "off road" and "trails" and assuming you are being reasonable in those expectations I would say the biggest hurdle will be weather. My dad used to take his rwd van way down a dirt trail (double track) on a ranch for hunting. Never a problem in dry conditions, but if it snowed or rained while hunting it was an absolute nightmare trying to get out. Later with a 4x4 it was never an issue. Also, I don't drive our work trucks "off road" here but if we get a heavy snow or really icy conditions I simply can not get around some parts of site in 2wd.

I wouldn't worry about heading down forestry roads or good logging trails in dry conditions with a good weather forecast but a little rain or snow can really change the game for you.

You CAN use a big adjustable wrench as a hammer, but if you were getting into the carpentry trade you would buy a proper hammer right?

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Strength to 2 wheel drive is that when they do get stuck it's very easy for others to help them get out. They don't tend to get so stuck that it requires three vehicles to pull them out and they're often easy to get to.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

If you can find somebody who is traveling in a four-wheel-drive that can go with you it makes it ultra-simple.

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Many sand rails and Baja 1000 trucks are two wheel drive. Large tires air down rear lockers and lower gearing to compensate for the larger tires are very useful. Problem with most 2-wheel drives is that they're gearing is not very low and as soon as he changed the tires it can be a game changer.

Reactions: maxfederle89

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

They are not able to go everywhere four-wheel drive is able to go but if you stick to appropriate for roads you can go pretty far

Cottonwoody

Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

You have to learn how to tell the difference between a trail you could travel on in one you can't. I learned a lot about soil composition and spent a fair time getting stuck and unstuck.

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

I had a 2WD Ford Expedition (probably pics of it in my post history, good times were had) that I took off road quite a few times. Not the type of vehicle you want to drive on wet grass let alone mud. All terrain tires + tire deflation kit + air compressor made a HUGE difference for me. I aired down to just around 20psi and was able to do some pretty sketchy things with that "apartment complex on wheels". Never got stuck in that thing, which was partially luck but mostly just being smart about where I drove. Know when to go, when to attempt to go, or when to find an alternate route. The issue I ran into was articulation and clearance, very easy to get a wheel or two in the air which is a huge no no when only 2 (or sometimes 1 I guess, depending on the vehicle) of those 4 wheels actually provide power!

Also, it's sometimes hard to recommend someone off road a nice 2wd vehicle, because in a 2wd momentum also plays a pretty big role. It's easier to damage parts when your pushing your vehicle over obstacles rather than crawling slowly over them. If I was interested in selling a vehicle I probably would not do anything other than graded or well traveled dirt/rock roads when it's dry.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We have a 2wd 99 F250 7.3 diesel Crew Cab short bed which is right at 7,800 without our camping stuff - water, food and other supplies.
For awhile I felt like we could get stuck on the asphalt next to the sand - kidding - but close.
We got some Treds which really helped getting unstuck! Then at 230,000 miles I got the diff rebuilt changed gearing from 3:73 to 4:10s and replaced the warn out posi with a Detroit Locker. What a Difference!!!!!!!

We still can get stuck in sand if I am not forceful on the throttle (do not stop or slow too much) - but not like before. We have powered through some long stretches of sand and loss rock with no issues. I have to add that our SD has a 6" lift on it which helps a lot on mountain trails with holes and bigger rocks.

I would suggest always going with another rig and tow straps, winch and test your rigs capabilities now and then as in try something that looks like you will not make it (with in reason). Also what you are doing is learning how to get your rig to do what it needs to do to get through a spot (driver training).

As far as tread lightly goes I have seen a lot of 4wds destroying trails, it is not the vehicle it is the driver - to me.

Need to add that we go around BIG rock areas and such - the truck is also my DD.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I used to explore out West (Arizona) when I was young on a 1 wheel drive Honda 305 Scrambler.

Never got stuck one single time.......
I ran a Bultaco 360 El Montadero north of Phoenix back in 73.

I have to confess I was not into treading lightly back then.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I suppose you could pick up a rear locker like a Detroit TrueTrack, a winch, recover strap, snatch strap, a pair of Maxtrax, an air compressor (so you can air down, then air back up), and some nice offroad tires, and still have a lot of fun, and most likely be able to get out of a lot of light offroading “stuckness” with all that gear (even more so with a buddy along)...

The good news is that you can take all that stuff with you to the next vehicle...

James

Reactions: Daryl 32

Bigsteve31

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Whittier ca
Member #

Damn I just read some of the reviews I know this is old but this made me feel like Rosa parks I should just go to the back of the bus shut up

Last edited: