Limitations of a 2WD Truck

• HTML tutorial

SNJTundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey everyone,
I know this is probably a vague question, but I don't have any experience in the off road world. As I begin planning out my first couple of trips, I was wondering how much would I be limited in a 2wd toyota tundra. Could anyone provide some insight, and maybe some tips? Does anyone have pictures of them doing pretty moderate level trails in a 2wd? Thanks in advance.

Theoretician

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tijeras, NM
Member #

Stay on anything up to decent forest service roads that have been graded sometime in the past couple of years and you should be fine. That'll get you to a lot of places. With only 2wd you want to stay away from anything wet or anything that'll cross the axle, but that's not a terrible limitation. You might focus more than most on communications, planning, emergency preparedness, etc.

2wd will surprise you in how far it'll get you, especially if you have another vehicle behind you for backup.

SNJTundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thank you for the response! I have been putting an extra focus on recovery gear and planning to be as prepared as possible. I will start investigating good communications as well.
Stay on anything up to decent forest service roads that have been graded sometime in the past couple of years and you should be fine. That'll get you to a lot of places. With only 2wd you want to stay away from anything wet or anything that'll cross the axle, but that's not a terrible limitation. You might focus more than most on communications, planning, emergency preparedness, etc.

2wd will surprise you in how far it'll get you, especially if you have another vehicle behind you for backup.
bk

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

Hey everyone,
I know this is probably a vague question, but I don't have any experience in the off road world. As I begin planning out my first couple of trips, I was wondering how much would I be limited in a 2wd toyota tundra. Could anyone provide some insight, and maybe some tips? Does anyone have pictures of them doing pretty moderate level trails in a 2wd? Thanks in advance.
Sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd. In all seriousness, it’s irresponsible to take a 2wd off-road. They tear up the trails and often get stuck requiring a second vehicle to recover them.

Trade in your tundra and get a 4x4, even if it’s a couple years older. The 4wd will hold its value longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grngiant

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Hartland, Vt
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
White
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1AFH
Rear locker, good tires, maybe suspension upgrades can get you pretty far off road.
Not letting ego get the best of you, and turning around before you cross the point of no return is one of the most important things to keep in mind.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

Rear locker, good tires, maybe suspension upgrades can get you pretty far off road.
Not letting ego get the best of you, and turning around before you cross the point of no return is one of the most important things to keep in mind.
^ This. Just went wheeling with a guy who had a 2WD Ranger with rear locker and he was able to do all the stuff us 4x4s were doing, albeit with a bit more of a "running start". Those were some gnarly trails, and since you need a bit more momentum, the suspension is important. Traction boards and a winch and I don't see why you couldn't have some fun.

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

^ This. Just went wheeling with a guy who had a 2WD Ranger with rear locker and he was able to do all the stuff us 4x4s were doing, albeit with a bit more of a "running start". Those were some gnarly trails, and since you need a bit more momentum, the suspension is important. Traction boards and a winch and I don't see why you couldn't have some fun.
I’m sorry but this is awful advice. Please read up on TreadLightly! and the TREAD principles. Trails are being shut down all over the place and your advice is to take a running start?

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

I’m sorry but this is awful advice. Please read up on TreadLightly! and the TREAD principles. Trails are being shut down all over the place and your advice is to take a running start?

Are you saying that it's not possible to overcome an obstacle with some momentum without displacing terrain? A little forward motion into the obstacle is exactly what prevented any tires from spinning.

I have video of the exact spot I'm talking about. I didn't say anything about destroying the place. I'm well aware of the "tread lightly" principles.

I think "just sell your car" is terrible advice myself. But I guess we are all welcome to have opinions about advice.

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

Are you saying that it's not possible to overcome an obstacle with some momentum without displacing terrain? A little forward motion into the obstacle is exactly what prevented any tires from spinning.

I have video of the exact spot I'm talking about. I didn't say anything about destroying the place. I'm well aware of the "tread lightly" principles.

I think "just sell your car" is terrible advice myself. But I guess we are all welcome to have opinions about advice.
I’m saying, without question, taking a two wheel drive vehicle off-road, on a trail that requires a “running start”, is irresponsible. It’s bad for the entire community and selfish.

Can it be done? Sure, we all know that. Should be be done? No. The OP will have a much more enjoyable and safer experience by selecting a vehicle that is appropriate for the desired terrain.

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

I’m saying, without question, taking a two wheel drive vehicle off-road, on a trail that requires a “running start”, is irresponsible. It’s bad for the entire community and selfish.

Can it be done? Sure, we all know that. Should be be done? No. The OP will have a much more enjoyable and safer experience by selecting a vehicle that is appropriate for the desired terrain.

All I was saying is that a 2WD vehicle with a locker and decent suspension is a pretty capable off road vehicle. I think our views of what I mean by "running start" are different, and I'll leave it at that. If you weren't there then you would have no way of knowing the trail conditions and how responsibly we wheeled. I thought it was a great group and that we treated the trails well. I also thought the Ranger treated each obstacle with repsect and handled each with skill. I respect what you're saying and even agree with most of it, but I am certainly not going to argue about whether a 2WD has a place on a trail you weren't there to see.

To the OP, you can ignore my first post. Listen to SC_4Runner. I have no doubt he knows more than me. Was just trying to share my experience as it applied to your question.

Reactions: SNJTundra

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

All I was saying is that a 2WD vehicle with a locker and decent suspension is a pretty capable off road vehicle. I think our views of what I mean by "running start" are different, and I'll leave it at that. If you weren't there then you would have no way of knowing the trail conditions and how responsibly we wheeled. I thought it was a great group and that we treated the trails well. I also thought the Ranger treated each obstacle with repsect and handled each with skill. I respect what you're saying and even agree with most of it, but I am certainly not going to argue about whether a 2WD has a place on a trail you weren't there to see.

To the OP, you can ignore my first post. Listen to SC_4Runner. I have no doubt he knows more than me. Was just trying to share my experience as it applied to your question.
Hey, I’m sorry if I sounded like a jerk. Not attempting to lecture. Not judging how you wheel either. One of my friends is a convert from a 2wd 4Runner to a 4wd Landcruiser (FZJ80 like the OB flagship). It’s not an easy conversation to have. In fact, it sucks manufactures even make 2wd vehicles, especially with all of the ad material kicking up rooster tails in the dirt. If Jeep does anything right, it’s putting out a fantastically capable vehicle, right off the shelf. [emoji482]

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

Hey, I’m sorry if I sounded like a jerk. Not attempting to lecture. Not judging how you wheel either. One of my friends is a convert from a 2wd 4Runner to a 4wd Landcruiser (FZJ80 like the OB flagship). It’s not an easy conversation to have. In fact, it sucks manufactures even make 2wd vehicles, especially with all of the ad material kicking up rooster tails in the dirt. If Jeep does anything right, it’s putting out a fantastically capable vehicle, right off the shelf. [emoji482]

Cheers to that!

Last edited:

SNJTundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey thanks everyone for the responses. I see it brought up several opinions. I will look into this tread lightly and the TREAD principles. My objective isn’t necessarily to see how far I can push it off roading as that is not my interest. I am really just curious as to what terrain would be appropriate for me so that I’m not ruining trails or getting stuck. Trading my truck in isn’t really an option for me right now I am just seeking wisdom on how far I can go before there are any issues. Thanks again!

Reactions: MBroenkow

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Used to travel throughout Baja on a two-wheel drive Toyota pickup truck. I would always carry a high-lift Jack and homemade maxtrax. I got pretty good at reading soft sand. a rear Locker would help quite a bit.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Many of the Baja 1000 vehicles are two wheel drive but they have extremely large tires a locked rear end and a lot of horsepower. But I hear they do get stuck sometimes as well

SNJTundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Used to travel throughout Baja on a two-wheel drive Toyota pickup truck. I would always carry a high-lift Jack and homemade maxtrax. I got pretty good at reading soft sand. a rear Locker would help quite a bit.

I’ve already bought a hi-lift and recovery boards to be safe. Working on finding a rear locker at the moment. Thanks for the response!

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm with @SC_4Runner and think you start with a solid 4x4 and go from there. For any given obstacle, half the traction requires twice the momentum. That formula is how you tear up the trail and your truck.

But that's assuming you're interested in trails. If you're just running asphalt between state parks or gravel forest roads, a 2wd might be fine. If you're getting offroad though and you don't have a 4wd, you're going to be leaning heavily on those who do. That's not to say you shouldn't take your rig out a time or two to let it sell you on its own shortcomings.

Wilkes704

Rank III

Advocate II

I've only taken my 2006 rwd double cab out once to uwharrie in north Carolina, but it did just fine on the easier trails. I put in bilstein 4600s, Cooper discoverer at3, did a 2" leveling kit to give me a little more clearance in the front. I had a blast with a little scraping.

Since I'm a welder and fabricated, I plan on making my own bumpers when I mess up the ones on there. The first trip banged up a Nerf bar a little, so sliders and a roof basket are next.

I'm just going to use the hell out of what I already own.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using OB Talk mobile app