Resolved Limit to number of offline map downloads?

• HTML tutorial

traildog

Rank II
Investor

Member I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
da Silva
Member #

I’m in the process of downloading a series of maps for offline use for my next trip. I’ve successfully downloaded some. Trying to add a few more and keep getting a download error message for any new maps. Happening to both my iPad and iPhone. I have plenty of free storage on both devices and no issues with internet connection. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Reactions: Michael

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I’m in the process of downloading a series of maps for offline use for my next trip. I’ve successfully downloaded some. Trying to add a few more and keep getting a download error message for any new maps. Happening to both my iPad and iPhone. I have plenty of free storage on both devices and no issues with internet connection. Any suggestions?
How many maps have you downloaded successfully before you ran into this issue?
What method are you using to download maps? Square by square or automagically along the route? I ran into a similar issue having OB1 d/l maps along the route for a long route - was able to get the maps I wanted going square by square.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I believe it is limited by your device memory, but I contacted Michael and he should pop on here....

Jim

traildog

Rank II
Investor

Member I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
da Silva
Member #

I currently have 11 maps downloaded on my iPad and 12 on my iPhone. I do square by square to upload. There’s plenty of storage on both devices. Snapshot below is from my iPad. iPhone is similar in free space.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I currently have 11 maps downloaded on my iPad and 12 on my iPhone. I do square by square to upload. There’s plenty of storage on both devices. Snapshot below is from my iPad. iPhone is similar in free space.
I have been able to get a lot more than that in the past. Just tried and I was able to download an offline map on an iphone that had no other maps.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi George - you have almost certainly run into the per user "tile" limit for map downloads. This limit was chosen in a best-guess manner when we introduced map downloads. We estimated that you would hit the limit around 10 map downloads, and that's right about where you are at. That is not an exact science, limit depends on where you download, and other factors. FWIW, this is a per device limit.

In order to fix this issue for you, an new app release is required (targeted in the next few days). In response, I had one of our developers 3X the limit. The new limit should allow you to have up to 30 map downloads. We do know that for the folks that use the offline map download feature, the average number of downloads is 8.3 downloads. We are right against the limit there - so we need to provide more headroom.

After the Next release, give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hi George - you have almost certainly run into the per user "tile" limit for map downloads. This limit was chosen in a best-guess manner when we introduced map downloads. We estimated that you would hit the limit around 10 map downloads, and that's right about where you are at. FWIW, this is a per device limit.

In order to fix this issue for you, an new app release is required (targeted in the next few days). In response, I had one of our developers 3X the limit. The new limit should allow you to have up to 30 map downloads. We do know that for the folks that use the offline map download feature, the average number of downloads is 8.3 downloads. We are right against the limit there - so we need to provide more headroom.

After the Next release, give it a try and let me know how it goes.
Is this a new limit? I ask because I have had a lot more downloaded in the past. FWIW this limitation makes me sad.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Is this a new limit? I ask because I have had a lot more downloaded in the past. FWIW this limitation makes me sad.
Copy that!

It's not a new limit, but the estimate is not an exact science. It depends on where the map download is, and varies pretty significantly.

These limits are a fluid thing as we figure out hosting and server cost on tile downloads. It is fairly complex to estimate cost until we have more data. We're kinda guessing. We will be expanding and changing features over the next few months as we learn more about usage and cost. It's a very fine balance between flexibility for our members, and Expedition tier cost to the Member. We want to provide as much value as possible, for as low a subscription price as possible.

This is very much straw-,an proposal - and we'll keep this dialogue open with you to find the right balance.

Reactions: Ubiety

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you for the response Michael. Wondering why the “limit” can’t be tied to remaining storage on the device?
It is all cost related. We have to find the right balance between download limits and the Expedition subscription cost to support the feature(s).

traildog

Rank II
Investor

Member I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
George
Last Name
da Silva
Member #

Suggestion. Have the ability to capture the maps for a given trip so if you have to delete maps associated with that trip to make room for another, you can easily re-download the deleted one later.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Suggestion. Have the ability to capture the maps for a given trip so if you have to delete maps associated with that trip to make room for another, you can easily re-download the deleted one later.
I like this - also, if we did this the "captured" map could be listed across devices. So you download a map on one device, and it is shown (not downloaded) on your second device - then you could easily download on second device.