Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
I made a set of limb risers a while back and honestly may have over engineered them. I used a 250 pound rated dog chain/wire(it was 25 feet long, I cut the middle out and made 12 feet of usable cordage with it), I used zinc coated thimble and triple saddle clamped the wire. These scream HEAVY DUTY. That is until you get to where they attach to my roof rack. there they are hanging off of some conduit hangers. I have used the risers a few times and deformed the crud out of the hangers. Even over tightening the turn buckle you can see the hangers try to pull them selves out of shape. they have not snapped off yet, but it is a concern for me. Other than drilling and attaching eye bolts on the rack itself(probably what I will be doing), what other methods do you know of that has been used to attach these?

20171001_111016.jpg
20170930_140425.jpg

20170930_140410.jpg

20170930_140358.jpg

20170930_140354.jpg

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

The Camel Trophy trucks used this style limb riser. I believe the clamp at the bumper is from the boating industry.

7353428748_3b2a98940c_c.jpg

7353429420_5db70b611f_c.jpg

Reactions: Road

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I would suggest either looping the line on itself around the roof rack tubing or maybe welding something on the corners of the basket. I plan on just looping the line on itself to avoid drilling holes into the basket tubing whenever I get around to making mine

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
I would suggest either looping the line on itself around the roof rack tubing or maybe welding something on the corners of the basket. I plan on just looping the line on itself to avoid drilling holes into the basket tubing whenever I get around to making mine
Unfortunately looping is not an option as it would with my set up eliminate my turn buckles for tightening. and my rack is made from 1 inch aluminum pipe (not emt). I bought it off a kid that was working in a fab shop and he made it on the side using their supplies. I don't know how to weld (yet) and certainly not aluminum. looks like drilling with new eye bolts may be my only solution.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
I used the Firestik 3-way CB antenna mirror mount. It's steel and won't bend. The clamp is meant to be mounted on tubing, so it will bolt to your roof rack perfectly.

https://goo.gl/images/3agBP9
Sorry, I totally overlooked this. I like it, it looks nice, but may be a little bit more than I want to invest. Looking on amazon I am finding a pack of 2 generic versions of this for 15$, I wonder if they will open big enough. I guess I could order and return if its a no go.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Another option is just to create some small cable anchor loops with cable. You could loop them over the top & behind that corner post to keep them from shifting. I also think you could use a little less hardware. You could probably just lengthen what you already have, remove the thimble & put the cable around the coreber of the rack (though this would not be an easy disconnect).

Other options would be rigid metal loops or C or S shaped metal hangars. Even carabiners might work. Or a larger version of what you’ already using to attach to the conduit hanger.

Another option would be to drill a hole in the upper part of that open ended forward facing tube as an anchor point.

I think your use of the dog leash snap was innovative but I imagine the part that rotates is probably your weakest link. I’ve seen those pull through simply with dogs pulling though I expect they were probably pretty worn at the time.

Reactions: Bouncer

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Unfortunately looping is not an option as it would with my set up eliminate my turn buckles for tightening. and my rack is made from 1 inch aluminum pipe (not emt). I bought it off a kid that was working in a fab shop and he made it on the side using their supplies. I don't know how to weld (yet) and certainly not aluminum. looks like drilling with new eye bolts may be my only solution.
I would put the turnbuckle on the bracket on the front and eliminate that hook/clip on the front to be able to loop it. Just a thought.