Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Don't sweat it. It's pretty simple as long as you use a good wire crimper, the right connectors, and always use a fuse. I grew up fishing offshore with my old man and I've never been able to get rid of the itch. When it comes to electrical systems on a boat it is a never-ending struggle to keep it all up and running - so I have gotten pretty good at it. My old man had a big boat, so it wasn't as hard. My boat is a 19' and there are no places to ground anything on it, so everything has to be double wired, soldered, fused, and tucked away. Water, electricity, and corrosion are a constant battle. It makes wiring on a car an absolute breeze.
I have drifted away from 'crimping', and have gone to soldering when possible, along with shrink tubing for waterproofing the connection. Use some dielectric grease for more corrosion resistance on harness connections. An important step where the connections are low, and moisture thrown up from wet tires will spray on your project.

Simple In-line fuse, or fuse blocks are your friends, especially where your project steps up in complexity.

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I have drifted away from 'crimping', and have gone to soldering when possible, along with shrink tubing for waterproofing the connection. Use some dielectric grease for more corrosion resistance on harness connections. An important step where the connections are low, and moisture thrown up from wet tires will spray on your project.

Simple In-line fuse, or fuse blocks are your friends, especially where your project steps up in complexity.
I have tried again and again to learn how to solder. I've watched videos on YouTube - I own like 3 different types of soldering guns, but I still can't figure it out. I use the crimp connections that come with the heat shrink already around it. I will sometimes use liquid electrical tape on top of that to insulate it further.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have tried again and again to learn how to solder. I've watched videos on YouTube - I own like 3 different types of soldering guns, but I still can't figure it out. I use the crimp connections that come with the heat shrink already around it. I will sometimes use liquid electrical tape on top of that to insulate it further.
"I will sometimes use liquid electrical tape on top of that to insulate it further".

A better protection method than wrapped electrical tape for sure. Just like using shrink tubing! Just not for connections that might have to be disconnected,...use for inline permanent work!

Reactions: Sasquatch SC

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
View attachment 93891
Got it done!! Thanks so much for the advice, I love it!!
The Aussie...Michael, on his you tube channel, did a good video on the newer high power lights vs more standard halogen. For periods of road travel (light traffic), he found that the halogen lights were much better, as they had reduced eye fatigue. A very apparent condition from the cab of his truck. Made me a believer that sometimes you can have too much. Check it out on "seek adventure"

EDIT:

Last edited:

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I can't begin to tell you how much I hate daylight savings time. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the dark. but I HATE working in the dark. Photography has definitely made me a lighting snob.
Those are some sick shots. I’m not a photographer by any sense or definition of the word - but I’ll have to take some new night shots of the Appalachia Wander Wagon soon. I have the new iPhone 11 Pro Max with the 3 cameras on it. I don’t know how they work, but I’m told it takes pretty good shots in the dark. I’ve changed a few things since the last time I posted a dark photo. I added a bull bar w/ some Hella 500’s w/ the amber lenses, put amber lenses on my stock fogs & moved the green accent strips to a little area above the headlight housings. I’m wanting to get some ambient lights tucked in somewhere underneath for when I’m at camp & I still have to figure out a way to put a light on my relocated license plate. I’m probably going to take it to a shop to have someone professionally install it. Most of my electrical work is shotty on a good day.

AdamFineFJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Those are some sick shots. I’m not a photographer by any sense or definition of the word - but I’ll have to take some new night shots of the Appalachia Wander Wagon soon. I have the new iPhone 11 Pro Max with the 3 cameras on it. I don’t know how they work, but I’m told it takes pretty good shots in the dark. I’ve changed a few things since the last time I posted a dark photo. I added a bull bar w/ some Hella 500’s w/ the amber lenses, put amber lenses on my stock fogs & moved the green accent strips to a little area above the headlight housings. I’m wanting to get some ambient lights tucked in somewhere underneath for when I’m at camp & I still have to figure out a way to put a light on my relocated license plate. I’m probably going to take it to a shop to have someone professionally install it. Most of my electrical work is shotty on a good day.
Thanks man!. I think I shot all these on a canon g1x mark iii. Or my 5Dmarkii.
My next light mod will be tinting my headlights yellow... they're basically my fog lamps when I'm offroad.
A good crimper. A good stripper. Braided wire loom, split plastic wire loom, zip ties, and adhesive lined heat shrink go a long way. Personally I'd say watch some youtube. Save the money on labor and spend it on tools that you can use to field repair later. Labor isn't cheap but learning how your rig works and how to fix it is priceless. But honestly if I had the cash to spare I'd probably have someone else work on my rig hahaha.