Light bars

• HTML tutorial

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

What does the law in the states say regarding light bars. In my country a new law has passed stating that a light bar may not go over the center line of the vehicle.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
It can't be higher off the ground than the center of the rig? I'm in Oregon state and have lights on the roof, a 42" LED bar, 4 4" pods on the front grill area and ditch lights (back of the hood hinge. As long as I do not turn them on on a public hiway I'm OK. Some states require that they be covered.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Like @madcratebuilder said, it can be different in every state. A lot require them to be covered, but haven't heard anything about where they can or can't be mounted. In Minnesota you can have them above the headlights, but can't have them turned on while driving on any public roads.

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

It varies by each state. Like mentioned there are states that they have to be covered by an opaque material so they cannot shine through if you turn them on. There is typically no requirement as to mounting height.

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

Mounting height isn't the problem, its the vertical center. Got a huge fine last week + the asked me to remove it before i could continue driving. (Had no tools at the time, so it was a mission!!)