First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Hey everyone,

I'm planning to invest in a light bar (20", nothing crazy) in the near future, and I'm concerned about it getting swiped. I park on the street, and while I've never had anything stolen off my truck before, I *have* had things stolen out of it. Even though it's only a 20" bar, it isn't going to be cheap.

I went through trying to figure this out a while back when I installed some Rigid foglights, but was able to solve that with a little superglue and BBs in the allen bolts. This time around, there are no allen bolts, just hex bolts/nuts. Don't really want to superglue if I don't have to (if it would even work in this instance), as adjustment of my foglights is already going to be a pain if I ever have to do that.

Has anybody found a way around spending $35 for a single tri-groove socket and the crazy-expensive tri-groove nuts? I realize it's probably expensive so not every thief has one in their kit, but for what it is, it seems awfully spendy.

I'd appreciate your ideas!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
What if you put an acrylic light cover over it so it doesn’t scream Rigid. I have a 20” light bar on my bull bar with cover.

Reactions: Aequitas1916

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Only way i know would permenately screw up your light bar, meaning you wouldnt be able to remove it or adjust it either. Jb weld on the mounting screw threads. I buy cheap light bars so if stolen or damaged no big deal. The cheap stuff works and many use the same led chips as the big brands it just quality control thats a problem the tend to leak water into them through the crappy seals.

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Only way i know would permenately screw up your light bar, meaning you wouldnt be able to remove it or adjust it either. Jb weld on the mounting screw threads. I buy cheap light bars so if stolen or damaged no big deal. The cheap stuff works and many use the same led chips as the big brands it just quality control thats a problem the tend to leak water into them through the crappy seals.
Have you ever tried to seal one of the cheap light bars with some silicone or something. That is my main concern with the cheap ones. Of course, everyone would probably like a super nice light bar, but I'd probably get a cheap one for now if I wasnt concerned with immediate leak problems.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yes if tried but apparently im no better at it than the chinese are, ive tried both the marine silicone and rtv but they still leak, i may not be applying enough since i dont want it sqeezing out all over although i may have just not gotten all the water out and have trapped water . All my lights work they just get condensation after rain or when temps swing. It happens with my ditch lights on the colorado and my 50inch lightbar on the front of my ranger. So far its just an apperance thing ive had both light setups for around 2 years now 20190428_074627_1556455588627.jpg20190420_112318.jpg

Reactions: Aequitas1916

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Well, I picked up a cheapo light bar from Amazon. Siliconed the shit out of it. If it lasts me the season, I'll be happy with it, given the $25 price tag. If it fails or gets stolen, I can easily swap it out since the wiring is already run.

Reactions: RoarinRow