light bar glare

• HTML tutorial

Kinane

Rank 0

Traveler I

Any info/advice about adding lights to a JK with a Gobi Stealth rack? Was gonna do a light bar on top but the fella at the shop said glare would be an issue. Told me to stick with bumper or a-pillar mounted lights. Thoughts?

Also thinking about Aurora lights. Seems people dig those and they're a lot more affordable that Rigid. (and i know i know--you get what you pay for)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Cros

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

VA
Member #

A matte hood will help, but yes, you will get some glare from a roof-mounted light bar. I haven't had an issue, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

You can flat black the hood. We flat black every thing in front of the operator cab on all of our Cat equipment at work for eye relief while operating at night. If it will knock the glare down off of Nordic led lights it will take most the glare off of anything in the automotive market has to offer.
http://www.nordiclights.com/start-english

There are also companies out there making glare shields like the one below. These also do a great job of putting the light edge just off the edge of the hood.F858F65B-27D0-464E-BB0B-F4453D305A03-2816-0000033C369195FB.jpeg

Paw

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redwood City
Member #

When I still had the last jeep I mounted Pillar lights and slightly canted them outward to illuminate the sides of the road and mounted a 10" rigid light bar on the bumper. Its pictured with attached fog lens, but it pops off if need be. The only time it really glared was a very bad down pour coming out of death valley at night. However the amber cover still pierced the rain and did not kick up any glare.3.jpg

Yellow

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cornwall, UK
Member #

Could always put a 20" bar on the bonnet - much less wind noise as its not right above your head, and much less glare too as its in front of youbonnet light.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P