Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Many folks on here have posted up about lifting their rigs. I've always commented that 2 - 2.5"s is plenty enough for an overlanding rig to traverse 99.9% of all trails in North America, provided you have lockers, at least in the rear axle. Anything higher will cost you upwards of a thousand dollars an inch to get it right. Not only must you radically correct your suspension geometry, you gotta get the driveline geometry corrected as well... Here is a great video explaining a bit of physics on driveline geometry. Enjoy. !!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I agree! 2-2.5" is plenty. Any more than that, and the cost becomes insane. Not to mention a short lift still can retain stock components, which are generally cheaper and more readily available. I myself have about a 2" lift and plan on running 30-31" tires. I know I can make it over most obstacles with that setup and without having to trim anything

gabe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

miami
Member #

Awesome information. You learn something every day. Thanks.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I've always been on the train of thought that with IFS a 1-1.5" body lift and a small amount of trimming/love with a bfh is way more beneficial than lifting the suspension due to most lifts limited suspension travel. tall skinny tires are also a good way to get more tire with less lift .
I think most people get overlanding and wheeling confused , you can do a amazing amount of overlanding in a car on forest service roads probably a good 80-90% of them. It's when you want to tackle that harder 10% of the really bad roads that you need to rethink your suspension and tires .

Flip4Ford

Rank 0

Traveler I

I love this video. I myself have a 4 1/2 inch suspension lift and a 1 inch body lift. My drive line angles are fine. I run 33 inch tires. I travel all over the Country to do both wheeling and over landing. There are very few roads or trails I have come across that have been impassable for me. I see many vehicle that have much larger tires, then complain that they only get 10 miles to gallon. If you totaly change the aerodynamics of a rig and shove it 7 or 8 inches in the air it is going to effect fuel mileage.