Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I've got a 16' Tundra and I'm going 4". I'm not a rock crawler, but I do want the extra clearance. 6" for me is just too tall for having it as a daily driver as well. Then also I haven't found a 6" lift that doesn't add a SIGNIFICANT amount of other changes and parts that you just don't need with a smaller lift

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 86burban

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

It's a 350 with the TH400. I drive it about 400 miles every weekend and would love an overdrive trans. I think is has 3.73 gears but I don't know for sure. 33" tires with the 3 speed at 65-70 MPH its running about 2800-3000 RPM. I would love to get that down 800-1000 RPM or so. I have seriously looked at that new Fi Tech EFI Kit to try and help out the MPG's. It's got a Quadrajet on it now and have no issues of stalling out at extreme angles (unless I just haven't found that wrong angle so to speak). Love the story by the way. That must have been a blast. I would love to take mine out for a few weeks just to see where I'd end up.
Swapping in a 700r4 overdrive transmission is usually pretty simple. The converter lockup kits are only about $175 and you can probably find an entire donor from a newer burb(91ish) with the crossmember and t-case ready to go.

You can also swap to a TBI with a computer/throttle body from a donor and a $325 harness from howell fuel injection. If you get the computer from the same vehicle you get the trans out of, you can add the 700r4 wiring to the Howell harness and it will all be seamless and self controlled.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

On your lift I would look in to Beyond 52s on the front and 63s and a shackle flip kit on the rear. Those two things will give you much better ride and flex.

http://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17715

http://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17730

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/881372-52-56-57-63-leaf-spring-swap-resource.html

Also don't be afraid to do some trimming I had a 1985 surburban with 40" boggers on the set up listed above. It would go anywhere and after trimming the fenders I had no rub at full stuff any where but the back side of the front springs at full lock.

Last edited:

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

This truck is also setting on the same suspension I listed above and on 42" tires. It is a crew cab on a suburban frame. IMG_0390.PNG

Same kit stock 56" rear springs in front, stock 1993 k2500 63" rear springs in the rear with 37" tires and no trimming.
IMG_0116.JPG IMG_0108.JPG

Same kit with 2" lift springs and 38" tires. IMG_0056.JPG