Lift size for overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sioux Falls, SD 57105, USA
Member #

I cannot decide between a 4" or 6" lift for my Suburban. Has anyone gone too high and regretted it or stayed conservative and regretted it? Looking for a good all around lift size. I'm leaning more toward a 4" lift So I don't have to buy new drivelines.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

If you're running 33's now, how can that be the max size with 4 more inches? Confused on your comments.

But lift size really depends vehicle to vehicle. Evaluate were you are now, and how much more you think you need. My truck has no lift, but performed a lot better on 33's (before I upgraded to 35's) than my previous rig with 4 inches on 35's.

Reactions: Gilbert

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

That is just what I've read from different lift kit manufacturers websites. Not saying it's gospel by any stretch. I do have some inner tire rubbing at full lock to the right. Thank you.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Depends if what tires you want to run? 33s get you plenty of places 35" give a little more axle clearance and 6" gets you better approach and departure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

That is just what I've read from different lift kit manufacturers websites. Not saying it's gospel by any stretch. I do have some inner tire rubbing at full lock to the right. Thank you.
I agree with bold... Makes no sense that an extra 4" won't allow you to fit 35" tires. I would def not go 6".

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

You're at 33's with minor rubbing. I'd bet 4-inches and 35's or 37's would make ya happy. A lot of the big lifts can actually hurt you offroad. Start getting tippy. Don't want to loose the advantage you have with the longer wheelbase. Make up the extra inches with tire size.

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
As little as possible. The lift height should be based on tires size desired and clearance for approach and departure. Try to build a your kit so it can get as DROOP as possible with minimal lift. My guess and goal would be a 70% of all travel would be in droop. On a slower speed, not a Trophy Truck, truck you want to keep the wheels in contact with the ground and that droop will help you do that, and sorta reach up and over rocks and trees and ledges.

Reactions: OffroadTreks

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

As little as possible. The lift height should be based on tires size desired and clearance for approach and departure. Try to build a your kit so it can get as DROOP as possible with minimal lift. My guess and goal would be a 70% of all travel would be in droop. On a slower speed, not a Trophy Truck, truck you want to keep the wheels in contact with the ground and that droop will help you do that, and sorta reach up and over rocks and trees and ledges.
Yeah I'm not looking for a rock crawler but want it to handle some rocks if need be.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Rubbing at full lock can also be addressed by a wheel with less backspacing (or spacers, if done right). And not only will taller tires with your current wheels increase the rubbing, wider tires will as well. Just something to keep in mind.

I would probably do 4" with 35's and just find wheels with the right backspacing to work.

As to what lift / wheels / tire combos will fit, you might try searching a square-body forum, as I am sure they have charts and stuff prepared. :p

Reactions: 86burban

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

The size of the lift is very specific to your wants and needs, the terrain you will travel and your vehicle. I had an 03 Excursion with a five inch lift and 35 inch tires. So theoritically it was 8 inch taller than stock which sounds like a lot, but for the length and width of the vehicle it really wasn't. I wanted the vehicle to be comfortable on any terrain but still have the clearance for almost any trail (or any trail that was wide enough). I can tell you that given the size of a suburban and the stock ground clearance, I would be very surprised if you ever encounter any areas that a 4" lift and 35"s would not get you out of unless you go rock crawling where the rocks are 15 inches or bigger.

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

The size of the lift is very specific to your wants and needs, the terrain you will travel and your vehicle. I had an 03 Excursion with a five inch lift and 35 inch tires. So theoritically it was 8 inch taller than stock which sounds like a lot, but for the length and width of the vehicle it really wasn't. I wanted the vehicle to be comfortable on any terrain but still have the clearance for almost any trail (or any trail that was wide enough). I can tell you that given the size of a suburban and the stock ground clearance, I would be very surprised if you ever encounter any areas that a 4" lift and 35"s would not get you out of unless you go rock crawling where the rocks are 15 inches or bigger.
Awesome. Thank you

andlours

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denver, Colorado
Member #

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the type of suspension lift you go with will have a huge effect on off-road performance. A quality 3inch lift will get you further than a poor 6 inch lift. Lift it as little as possible buy as much as needed. Hit some trails with your stock setup and then decide if and how much extra ground clearance you need.

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the type of suspension lift you go with will have a huge effect on off-road performance. A quality 3inch lift will get you further than a poor 6 inch lift. Lift it as little as possible buy as much as needed. Hit some trails with your stock setup and then decide if and how much extra ground clearance you need.

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

I am looking at ORD (OffRoad Design) as they specialize in Chevy and more importantly square bodies. From what I've read they are top notch and know everything there is to know about lifting square bodies.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

86 your burb looks to have the same paint job my 82 C20 3+3 long bed had, It was a 454 with turbo 400 tranny and was stuck on 10 mpg.

Anyway I was wounding what engine you have? If you have a small block "350" then tire size could cause you issues if you do not change your gearing to help out. I am seeing lots of $$$$$$ being talked about here.

Back in 1969 when I was in high school "Phoenix", I had a friend that during the summer spent weeks looking for the Lost Dutchman's gold mine in the Superstition Mountains of AZ. They would be gone for two weeks at a time and he and his brother and another friend did it in a stock 68 4x4 burb with 350 and standard four speed tranny. No lift and stock rims with tires that were old school off road 235/85-16s or 16.5s.

Point is you can get out there without speeding lots of money on wheels tires lifts and stuff. You should be able to get your springs re arched witch might be cheaper then new.

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

It's a 350 with the TH400. I drive it about 400 miles every weekend and would love an overdrive trans. I think is has 3.73 gears but I don't know for sure. 33" tires with the 3 speed at 65-70 MPH its running about 2800-3000 RPM. I would love to get that down 800-1000 RPM or so. I have seriously looked at that new Fi Tech EFI Kit to try and help out the MPG's. It's got a Quadrajet on it now and have no issues of stalling out at extreme angles (unless I just haven't found that wrong angle so to speak). Love the story by the way. That must have been a blast. I would love to take mine out for a few weeks just to see where I'd end up.

Reactions: Daryl 32