Life on the road

• HTML tutorial

tzorb

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

So i saw this picture

And now im thinking about it. How hard would it be to live out of a set up like this? Im a happily single guy so it would be just me. I have a dually k3500 to tow it and put my wrangler on the rear.
I mean the size of that camper isnt much smaller then the size of my kitchen and living room in my apartment now and thats all i really use.
Im getting tired of the daily grind of wake up go to work to pay the bills go home and sleep i do every day. So why mot ditch the monthly rent bills live on the road grab odd jobs as i go? Im a mechanic now so road side repairs arnt a worry. I grew up on a farm i can do just about any handy man job. What do you all think.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Do it! I live in a 360 sq. ft. camper full-time with my wife and daughter. It's an adjustment for sure... but; no house payment and no rent = more travel!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My wife and I are planning on doing it in a couple years if all goes well. I left my "babysitting" job in manufacturing a little over a year ago to go to work for an RV dealer as a technician. They paid for my training and certifications. Now I can go anywhere in the country and get a job really easy. We are looking at heading North in the Summers and South in the Winters. Dealerships will hire seasonal technicians. Also, many permanent RV parks hire techs to live and work on site. Even though I'm a certified tech, I want to wait at least a couple years to get a lot more experience under my belt. It's an interesting job and every time I do a search, there are literally hundreds of jobs throughout the U.S. Here is a link to a website for "workampers". People who live in their RV and travel the country and work. You can go to work for a company traveling the country and checking gas lines. You have to have a camper and be able to travel. https://www.workamper.com/ Here's another site with info on living and working in an RV. http://rv-camping-lifestyle.com/ I say do it, if you can. You only live once and you should do it if it interests you.

tzorb

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thanks ShawnR. Ill look into those. We get quite a few rvs in where i work now maybe i should start requesting them to build up more experience.
My sister said i can use her house address for car insurance and senses information. Ill just wire her the money she'll write the checks. So i have all that covered. The more i look into it theres jobs by the month all over the country enough that i could probably live off of. My worry is the 10mpg towing my truck gets, the gas cost for a campers power and cooking. And water septic hookups.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Thanks ShawnR. Ill look into those. We get quite a few rvs in where i work now maybe i should start requesting them to build up more experience.
My sister said i can use her house address for car insurance and senses information. Ill just wire her the money she'll write the checks. So i have all that covered. The more i look into it theres jobs by the month all over the country enough that i could probably live off of. My worry is the 10mpg towing my truck gets, the gas cost for a campers power and cooking. And water septic hookups.
I work on everything except engines and chassis. With your mechanical skills, it won't be too hard for you to maintain your home on the road. And being a mechanic, I can't imagine it would be very hard for you to find work. @stringtwelve did an amazing job remodeling his 5th wheel. Check out his blog for inspiration.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland