Rank II

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Almeida
Hello,

I have a 2019 Tacoma Offroad 4x4. I am ready to start modding it and I think the first mod I am going to do is sliders. The reason why is because I thought about skid plates and bed bars for a rooftop tent, but I wanted to make sure my car was safer from hits if/when it ever happened. Though I know the skid plates on my car are not the best at least it has some. For the rooftop tent, I figured I could wait and do it after the sliders since thats more of a want than a need.

So when I started shopping for rock sliders I noticed that there is a TON of different options. I found RRW, C4 Fabs, CBI, and a few others. I have never modded a truck, so I dont really know what I shluld be looking for other than looks when it comes to these different fab companies.

Have you had any good or bad experience with any of these products?

What recommendation do you have as far as what product to get or things to look for as I search for the right one?

Thanks in advance for the input!

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
My opinion,

Sliders Must be bolted to the frame. NOT the sheet metal under the door. They should be really heavy duty. Have solid welds. They should not have any weird drop down tabs or steps to get hung up on rocks.

Really, if they meet the above criteria manufacture didn't mater

Reactions: TacoMark

TacoMark

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Almeida
My opinion,

Sliders Must be bolted to the frame. NOT the sheet metal under the door. They should be really heavy duty. Have solid welds. They should not have any weird drop down tabs or steps to get hung up on rocks.

Really, if they meet the above criteria manufacture didn't mater
Yea all those brands I mention have all of that. I want them to be slides not running boards. So then you say the manufacturer doesnt really matter is a matter of looks at that point?

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Yea all those brands I mention have all of that. I want them to be slides not running boards. So then you say the manufacturer doesnt really matter is a matter of looks at that point?
Yup! I am pretty picky, so when a product look like a universal fit item I keep looking.
As an example, I also have been wanting sliders. There is a company that makes a set that fit all of the aforementioned specs. But they come up about 2" short of the front and rear wheelwell . Not the precise fit I desire.

TacoMark

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Almeida
Yup! I am pretty picky, so when a product look like a universal fit item I keep looking.
As an example, I also have been wanting sliders. There is a company that makes a set that fit all of the aforementioned specs. But they come up about 2" short of the front and rear wheelwell . Not the precise fit I desire.
Yea I’m the same way thats why I posted the question lol. Just to make sure! Lol

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I have C4Fab sliders on my 4Runner and they have been solid, were easy to put on, and look good IMO. The only "gripe" I have with them is that C4Fab will not powder coat or paint them so you will have to get them powder coated or paint them on your own. I knew this going in so didn't really care, but it is an added expense or work.

TacoMark

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Almeida
I have C4Fab sliders on my 4Runner and they have been solid, were easy to put on, and look good IMO. The only "gripe" I have with them is that C4Fab will not powder coat or paint them so you will have to get them powder coated or paint them on your own. I knew this going in so didn't really care, but it is an added expense or work.
My concern with it being raw was corrosion. Do they get corroded at all?

I live in AZ where rust is not an issue at all, but I would be worried with a raw metal out in the open 24/7.

Thanks for the info!

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
My concern with it being raw was corrosion. Do they get corroded at all?

I live in AZ where rust is not an issue at all, but I would be worried with a raw metal out in the open 24/7.

Thanks for the info!
I would not run them raw at all or without at least painting them. Since you live in such a good climate as far as metal corrosion goes, you could just paint them and probably be fine for years. Plus paint is easy to touch up. Get some good rattle can primer and then rattle can paint them the color of your choice. I went with powder coating because of the salt they throw down here. It has held up for three winter's now

TacoMark

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Almeida
I would not run them raw at all or without at least painting them. Since you live in such a good climate as far as metal corrosion goes, you could just paint them and probably be fine for years. Plus paint is easy to touch up. Get some good rattle can primer and then rattle can paint them the color of your choice. I went with powder coating because of the salt they throw down here. It has held up for three winter's now
Yea I saw a website that painted them with LineX (the stuff for the beds) and it looked very nice!

Reactions: Wallygator