Let's Talk Offline Map Downloads and Definitions

• HTML tutorial

No Known Boundaries

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Western US
Member #

Alright boys and girls, let's talk about acquiring offline maps the fastest. As I'm sure you're all aware, Gaia/MyTrails/Hema/Cal Topo have the ability to select a grid for offline use, and then download directly onto your mobile device. This works well enough, but we'd like to streamline the process, and didn't have much luck last year finding an alternative. The last I spoke with someone on another forum about en masse acquisition, there is a lot of GIS data that needs to be aggregated in a very specific manner for offline maps, which makes it difficult to build these maps.

So what exactly are we looking to accomplish? Well, we'd like to either:
  • Find a database of offline maps in topo or hybrid formats that span entire regions or states (IE: more than just MVUMs/geoPDFs in Avenza)
OR
  • Be able to define entire areas through a desktop, download the offline map through the same desktop, and then transfer the offline map to the tablet for use in our preferred app.
Downloading offline maps requires plugging the tablet into a charger and letting it run for hours on end, given the scope of our trips. It also chews through storage space, and many of the apps restrict the amount you can download at any given time. So for something like one of the BDRs, it's a kick in the dick.

Discuss.

CANNONBALL94

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Cajon, Ca
First Name
Cannon
Last Name
Larocque
Member #

So not sure if this helps but I use the app Maplets! I’ve used it multiple times on numerous trips. Now it does have a short coming due to the fact it doesn’t map every mile of the earth SO I fill the holes with Gaia and MotionX-GPS. Hope this was a little useful!

-Cannon

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk