Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germany
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hice
Member #

Worthy project, keep us posted on what you do to it. Does it run ? What engine does it have ?
Thanks! It's a 1996 300 TDI LHD manual 5 speed. Will start a thread once I start upgrading him. Plan on bringing him back to VA once we finish our tour in a few years.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Thanks! It's a 1996 300 TDI LHD manual 5 speed. Will start a thread once I start upgrading him. Plan on bringing him back to VA once we finish our tour in a few years.
I didn't see that you are in Germany currently. Are you military and if so what do you think it will cost to ship it to the states ?

Ahice

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germany
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hice
Member #

I didn't see that you are in Germany currently. Are you military and if so what do you think it will cost to ship it to the states ?
Yes. Not sure about the costs. Get one vehicles shipped by the Army but would think it would be $1500-2000 if I had to pay for shipping.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes. Not sure about the costs. Get one vehicles shipped by the Army but would think it would be $1500-2000 if I had to pay for shipping.
I think I'd sell my everday driver, let the army ship the LR and buy another daily when you get back home with the money you sell your car with in Germany.
Just thinking of a way to get it home at no cost. :-)

Ahice

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germany
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hice
Member #

I think I'd sell my everday driver, let the army ship the LR and buy another daily when you get back home with the money you sell your car with in Germany.
Just thinking of a way to get it home at no cost. :-)
That's the plan. The beater I am driving is staying in Germany. Can't wait to spend some time working on him.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's the plan. The beater I am driving is staying in Germany. Can't wait to spend some time working on him.
At least you are in a country that probably has more parts than the US. I think I heard the last year they built your rig was 1996. I don't know if they quit making them in Europe but I think they haven't imported here since 1996. I don't know what the 300 TDI means unless it is a diesel engine.

Ahice

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germany
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hice
Member #

At least you are in a country that probably has more parts than the US. I think I heard the last year they built your rig was 1996. I don't know if they quit making them in Europe but I think they haven't imported here since 1996. I don't know what the 300 TDI means unless it is a diesel engine.
You got it. It's a 2.5L diesel. 300tdi is the last generation of very little electronics before switching to TD5.Screenshot_20191122-224921.jpg

Attachments

Ahice

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germany
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hice
Member #

Is it old enough for importing to the States?
It has to be 25 years old from the date of production. I have a certificate that gives me the date of production as Jun 1996. I plan to return after Aug 2021. Part of the reason I searched so hard to find one in that date range.

Also knew all the good specimens would be snapped up by exporters looking to make money so had to buy it a few years out. Exporters don't typically store inventory for three years.

Getting my family excited about it helped convince my wife to let me buy it.

received_1218983634957385.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It has to be 25 years old from the date of production. I have a certificate that gives me the date of production as Jun 1996. I plan to return after Aug 2021. Part of the reason I searched so hard to find one in that date range.

Also knew all the good specimens would be snapped up by exporters looking to make money so had to buy it a few years out. Exporters don't typically store inventory for three years.

Getting my family excited about it helped convince my wife to let me buy it.

View attachment 128180
I can see by the smile on her face the boss approves of it !

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Here Is mine....

looks great! but I had to do a double take look because at first glance it appears to be floating haha
Yep, she’s up off the ground on jack stands. Torque converter seal replacement.