Let's See Your Analog Compasses in your Trucks

• HTML tutorial

jimi breeze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

You must be thinking of a magnetic compass (360 degree compass card with compass fluid) which points to magnetic north or maybe a digital compass (three digit display showing your heading in 360 degrees).

I highly recommend running with a redundant system to track your heading along with other navigational tools. A magnetic compass is a great backup to your GPS, phone and other NAV gear you may have. Just remember that the steel in your truck as well as your electronics will affect your magnetic compass causing deviation in the reading (usually affected by your heading).

Check out my article: Adventure Route Planning and Navigation
for more info.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I use my GPS all the time. For me there's something about a compass. I don't care for digital models. I would like to really perfect the skill of using a compass.

Reactions: TheWrexTerra

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR
Basic Digital Compass built into my mirror and a Analog Hand Compass for exact direction finding. I prefer to use Paper maps. While my Ham Radio has a built in GPS and I have a Garmin 60 Handheld - I rarely only use them to double check my location on a map. Don't need some electronic bimbo telling me to turn into a swamp.

Reactions: Caddis