Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We had planned on going to Pisgah National Forest to explore and camp at the beginning of the week. The weather forecast was bad at best, 80-90% chance of thunder storms for Monday-Wednesday so we decided that it wasn't worth chancing being miserable for those days. We hopped in the wife's Malibu and spent those days in Gatlinburg doing the touristy type stuff. We went to the aquarium and ate way too much and did those kinds of things and had a great time with the kids. We got home Wednesday night and spent the day around the house Thursday getting things unpacked and catching up on stuff around here.
We talked about it and the weather was supposed to be amazing yesterday and today, so we decided to load up the X, go run Flag Pole and camp in West Augusta.
Friday morning, we threw all the gear on the X and headed out about 10 am. I've been searching for the best way to organize the back of the Xterra for trips and these Sterelite totes work great. They nest together, the table fits between them perfectly, my Coleman Powerhouse two burner stove fits between the ones on the left and the back seat and my come-along is behind the ones on the right. They leave enough space on the right side to fit my Coleman lantern and case in perfectly as well. The tent and camp chairs were all on the roof basket and the cooler and water jug were on the hitch carrier.
20180615_182221 by TerryD, on Flickr
Left top: 2x small totes with dry goods in one (chips, sandwich wraps, smores makings, ect) and camp supplies in the other (hammock, playing cards, roll of paper towels, wet wipes ect)
Left bottom: tools, recovery gear, and portable air compressor
Right top: Clothes and swim wear for 5 people.
Right middle: air mattresses, stuffable pillows, bed sheets, mattress pump
Right bottom: Mess kit (frying pan, french press, utensils, plates, cups, seasonings, ect)
Loaded up, filling up outside of town:
20180615_102409 by TerryD, on Flickr
All that load was squatting the rear of the X about 2". You can kind of see in this picture how it's raked back a bit. This was a good test of the new suspension. I'm VERY happy with the Rads all around and the Alcans. There were several places where I was three wheeling but since so much weight was over the rear axle, it just carried the front tire in the air and trudged right along!
We got to the trail head about 1pm. Julie set to making lunch for everyone and I aired down. I went from 35 to 20 in the front and 45 to 30 in the rear. I think with the load I had on it, these were very good trail pressures. It rode well and performed good all day.
Front tires at 20psi on a slight grade. I'm pretty pleased with how they flex.
20180615_150714 by TerryD, on Flickr
20180615_124940 by TerryD, on Flickr
20180615_124957 by TerryD, on Flickr
20180615_125019 by TerryD, on Flickr
We hit the trail about 1:30 and were really enjoying the ride.
20180615_140843 by TerryD, on Flickr
20180615_140832 by TerryD, on Flickr
The little two decided they wanted to walk up the trail with the dog as we drove. They probably walked a half mile before I got tired of having to stop and wait on them. They got back in and we made pretty good time to the top of the mountain. About a 1/4 mile from the field, we were crawling through a little trench section and the X just stalled out. It was like a manual transmission does when you don't get back on the gas quite quick enough when you edge up against an obstacle. I had a bad feeling I knew what was coming when it took several seconds of cranking to get it started again.
20180615_150628 by TerryD, on Flickr
It started just fine here, and we started our way on across the ridge towards Reddish Knob. Just as we got off the knoll and onto the trail, the dash lit up!
20180615_161756 by TerryD, on Flickr
I tossed my OBD2 Bluetooth dongle on it and sure enough, P0345. Bank 2 Cam Pos Sensor code.
It was still running and not wanting to chance shutting it down again, we made our way along the trail to the paved road that comes up the mountain to Reddish Knob Lookout. Down that road a ways, we stopped to air up, then made our 1.5 hour drive home mostly without issue. It was noticeably down on power though.
20180615_160004 by TerryD, on Flickr
Now I'm trying to find a place to buy the sensors from where I feel like I'm paying a reasonable price for Hitachi brand stuff and not Hitachi labeled knock-offs....
Maybe on day we'll go camping and it actually work out!!!! :grin:

Chris FMA

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Chester UK
Member #

This was a couple of weekends ago.. few modifications done this weekend, and off out again this coming weekend..