Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Looks so beautiful from all your photos and video! My father and one of my brothers are in Iceland right now tooling around for 10 days and I'm super jealous.
What is that second vehicle in the river crossing video with 6 wheels?
Hei Brien

Thanks a lot for your message.

IMG_3929-1024x768.jpg

The white 6X6 belongs to a friend of ours, that joined us for a few days on our Iceland adventure.
See: Sponsor (Supporter) Feature – Dreki Adventures
untitled6.png

It's a Toyota Hilux 6X6 Arctic Trucks 44 - AT44) , and is the original first 6x6 of this kind built by Arctic Trucks in Iceland - for South Pole Expeditions.
It has the personalized Icelandic number plate "6X6" which is perfect.

It belong to an English friend (Mike Herbert - photo above with my daughter Tuva) who lives just a few km away from us, in the Stavanger area, south-west Norway.
He keeps the vehicle in a garage in Iceland, and flies over on a regular basis to use it.

The vehicle is one of 3 vehicles, that makes the company "Dreki Adventures" (www.dreki.no)
They organize personalized tours around Iceland.

IMG_3932-1024x768.jpg

It's a very cool car to drive - especially over rough terrain and river crossings, and is a dream to drive in winter in Iceland, especially in deep snow and over glaciers.

I can provide more specific details, if you wish - Mike Herbert can also be contacted directly via www.dreki.no
Let him know I directed you to him :)

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Looks like an incredible adventure, Neil!

Are the rigs ferried from Norway aboard a ship or an aircraft? You mentioned the South Pole, how do you get down there?

I have never been to Iceland but it looks as though vegetation there is limited to grasses and very small bushes. Are there area's of Iceland that tree's grow?

Those vehicles look very capable. Is there a site where we could see the technical specifications of them? I'd be interested in seeing the suspension and chassis modifications required to run those massive tires!

Thank You for sharing!

Brian

Reactions: Neil Q Smith

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Looks like an incredible adventure, Neil!

Are the rigs ferried from Norway aboard a ship or an aircraft? You mentioned the South Pole, how do you get down there?

I have never been to Iceland but it looks as though vegetation there is limited to grasses and very small bushes. Are there area's of Iceland that tree's grow?

Those vehicles look very capable. Is there a site where we could see the technical specifications of them? I'd be interested in seeing the suspension and chassis modifications required to run those massive tires!

Thank You for sharing!

Brian
Hei Brian

Thanks a lot for your message.

Yes, it was an incredible adventure.
It's the second Iceland Arctic Trucks Expedition I have organized in 2 years.

Take a look at our 2 expedition websites, for more info, details, photos and videos:
www.ice2015.no
www.ice2017.no
ICE (Iceland Circumnavigation Expedition)

We take the vehicles to Iceland via ferry to Denmark and then via Smyril Line ferry to Iceland (via Faroes Islands).
So each adventure begins and ends with 3 days (each way) on 2 ferries.
It's not cheap, but it's good to travel with your vehicle, rather than ship them via containers.

As for Iceland - there are many variations in the landscape and flora.
There certainly are areas where trees & bushes grow, but these areas as not widespread, and the trees are certainly not tall by normal standards.
If you take time to check out our website(s) and the daily blogs we published, you will see photos with green fields and trees.
But the overall impression of Iceland, is a "lunar landscape" - and there is a lot of that over there....

The 6X6 Toyota Hilux Arctic Trucks in the photos, was built by Arctic Trucks Iceland, as a prototype / proof of concept car, for South Pole expeditions.
This 6X6 model is now used for many South Pole expeditions, and forms one of the income strings for Arctic Trucks.
Lots of Arctic Trucks videos of these South Pole trips on YouTube.

I have not been to Antarctica (as yet), but Mike Herbert (6X6 owner) has been on one of the Arctic Trucks South Pole expeditions.
He just flew down there - the vehicles were shipped there from Iceland.

I don't have the technical specs for the 6X6 - but I will ask Mike Herbert if he can supply me.
I will forward them to you once I have them.
In the meantime, take a look at the Dreki website, for first-level details and cool photos:
https://dreki.smugmug.com/The-Trucks/

They are very capable vehicles, and stand up to a lot on these sort of expeditions.
And of course - great fun to drive..........

Talk later once I have the Technical Specs for the 6X6.

Cheers
Neil :)

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Thank you for the additional information, @Neil Q Smith. It certainly looks like an incredibly fun and capable vehicle!

Reactions: Neil Q Smith