Lets see some trail photos!

• HTML tutorial

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

Just for my future reference, how critical is the low range gearing for the descent? Do you think an extra low first gear in a light vehicle would be okay?
4 low at the transfer case with transmission in 1st allows you to just steer, no throttle or brake input.
I don't know your set-up, can't offer opinion on your gearing.
Issue with Black Bear is it becomes one way (down) just before you reach the steps. Steps are only section I'd have concerns. Unfortunately, you're committed once you reach that point, no option but to continue down.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

4 low at the transfer case with transmission in 1st allows you to just steer, no throttle or brake input.
I don't know your set-up, can't offer opinion on your gearing.
Issue with Black Bear is it becomes one way (down) just before you reach the steps. Steps are only section I'd have concerns. Unfortunately, you're committed once you reach that point, no option but to continue down.
Good to know. If a vehicle with low range doesn't need any braking at all to descend safely, I would probably be okay as long as I took it nice and slow. I've done some pretty long, steep descents before with no issues.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Recent trip from Denver to Vegas by way of Moab and Escalante. Most of these pictures are from Poison Spider in Moab.

Relaxing for awhile at Willow Springs campground
IMG_1570.JPG

Swithcbacks at the beginning of Poison Spider trail
IMG_1616.JPG

Trail dog!
IMG_1617.JPG

Going up "the waterfall"
IMG_1618.JPG

One of many steep ledges
IMG_1619.JPG

Another small obstacle. The rack started feeling flimsy and eventually the basket came loose. After a couple of adjustments and bringing the tool boxes into the cab it rode just fine.
IMG_1620.JPG

"the wedge"
IMG_1621.JPG

Last edited:

mikedtmay

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Dawlish, UK
First Name
Michael
Last Name
May
Member #

Recent trip from Denver to Vegas by way of Moab and Escalante. Most of these pictures are from Poison Spider in Moab.

Relaxing for awhile at Willow Springs campground
View attachment 81603

Swithcbacks at the beginning of Poison Spider trail
View attachment 81604

Trail dog!
View attachment 81605

Going up "the waterfall"
View attachment 81606

One of many steep ledges
View attachment 81607

Another small obstacle. The rack started feeling flimsy and eventually the basket came loose. After a couple of adjustments and bringing the tool boxes into the cab it rode just fine.
View attachment 81608

"the wedge"
View attachment 81609

I love that colour

Reactions: MtnManAlex