John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
FTM-400 head on a ram x mount, Handset on a steelie ball, and radio under driver seat.

Attachments

4LOW_716

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Grand Island, NY, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Chisum
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2WXQ
Service Branch
U.S NAVY
Hey y'all, I am getting my first radio and was looking at the TYT-7900 Dual band.
Any recommendations on antennas? I was thinking on mounting it on my rear tire carrier, feeding the wire through the tailgate and mounting the base in the rear tub. I have power back there already so it would be running the face plate and cable to my overhead rack with the mic.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey y'all, I am getting my first radio and was looking at the TYT-7900 Dual band.
Any recommendations on antennas? I was thinking on mounting it on my rear tire carrier, feeding the wire through the tailgate and mounting the base in the rear tub. I have power back there already so it would be running the face plate and cable to my overhead rack with the mic.
You are going to need a 1/2 wave or 5/8 wave antenna to use the spare tire mount for a mounting location. The spare tire rack doesn’t offer a good ground plane.
Diamond Original NR770HB 144/440 MHz Dual-Band Mobile Antenna, Black, Gain: 3.0/5.5 dBi, Connector: PL-259, Fold Over, Length: 38.5"

4LOW_716

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Grand Island, NY, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Chisum
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2WXQ
Service Branch
U.S NAVY
You are going to need a 1/2 wave or 5/8 wave antenna to use the spare tire mount for a mounting location. The spare tire rack doesn’t offer a good ground plane.
Diamond Original NR770HB 144/440 MHz Dual-Band Mobile Antenna, Black, Gain: 3.0/5.5 dBi, Connector: PL-259, Fold Over, Length: 38.5"
I forgot to mention. It is not the stock carrier. It is the smittybuilt that mounts with the Hard rock Steel bumpers. I'm not opposed to mounting it off the hood just heard bad things about trees breaking them.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I forgot to mention. It is not the stock carrier. It is the smittybuilt that mounts with the Hard rock Steel bumpers. I'm not opposed to mounting it off the hood just heard bad things about trees breaking them.
The antenna I posted would work for your application. Just be advised, mobile antennas are already compromised, and you are compromising it further by mounting to the spare tire.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I'm not opposed to mounting it off the hood just heard bad things about trees breaking them.
If you have a limb that large and that low that it breaks the antenna mounted on your fender/hood, the antenna is going to be the least of your worries.
I have 3 antennas mounted on the roof and a 102"+ antenna on the side of my Cherokee and they get smacked against tree limbs every time I drive, was multiple times daily when I was going into the office and haven't had one break. I have one that's not quite as straight as it use to be from getting tangled in some branches but it still works fine and I was able to straighten it some.

I have run Browning BR-180 dual band antennas without issue, the enclosed coil about halfway up the antenna does cause the antenna to move a bit more than I like. I still carry one if I need to use 70cm but mainly run Larsen NMO150 2m antennas. Some antennas such as the Larsen 2/70 or the Comet and Diamond antennas suggested previously have open coils which cuts down on the weight, but the coils can get caught/tangled in branches.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
If you have a limb that large and that low that it breaks the antenna mounted on your fender/hood, the antenna is going to be the least of your worries.
I have 3 antennas mounted on the roof and a 102"+ antenna on the side of my Cherokee and they get smacked against tree limbs every time I drive, was multiple times daily when I was going into the office and haven't had one break. I have one that's not quite as straight as it use to be from getting tangled in some branches but it still works fine and I was able to straighten it some.

I have run Browning BR-180 dual band antennas without issue, the enclosed coil about halfway up the antenna does cause the antenna to move a bit more than I like. I still carry one if I need to use 70cm but mainly run Larsen NMO150 2m antennas. Some antennas such as the Larsen 2/70 or the Comet and Diamond antennas suggested previously have open coils which cuts down on the weight, but the coils can get caught/tangled in branches.

My Antenna CBs tend to be better able to withstand low branches. I've driven my Xj though some very low stuff and lost a Comet SBB-5 to the open coil. It yeeted the ariel so far I never found it.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

My Antenna CBs tend to be better able to withstand low branches. I've driven my Xj though some very low stuff and lost a Comet SBB-5 to the open coil. It yeeted the ariel so far I never found it.
Yeah, I guess I took broke to be bent/busted but having the ariel removed and dispersed still leaves you with an antenna you can't use so I suppose I will retract most of my previous statement.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
I ended up mounting my radios in a centre console. Only 1 HAM rig at present.
View from above, in Australia we drive on the right-hand side of the vehicle so the displays are the correct way up for the driver.

Definitely not the latest gear.

Left is my HF, VKS737/Outpost radio.
Top right is my Australian UHF CB (477Mhz/60cm).
Bottom right is my 2m/70cm rig.

Radio_Centre_Console.jpg

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
Yaesu FTM6000 w/ hood lip NMO mounted Comet in my 2020 4Runner. Radio body under pass seat. Still deciding where to mount mic clip and ext speaker ( I want to be REALLY sure before I drill) Not sure why the pics went sideways, I posted the same pics on another forum and they were right side up.tempImageeEccEL.pngtempImageBlTT2a.png

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Nice setup! Thanks for sharing!

The fact that the photo appears properly aligned on your computer and rotated here could be because the image viewer on your computer takes the alignment data into account and displays the image correctly that way, and the forum software doesn't pull that data. Try to open the photo on your computer, e.g. rotate it to the right and back to the correct position, then save it under a new name and upload it here. Mabe that will work.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I used an adhesive CB mic clip on my grab handle. works great and isn't permanent.

Reactions: RoarinRow