Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I was asked a while back, “how to work digitally while on the road?” I don’t mean using cell phones, or electronic navigation devices, we are talking sending and receiving emails over the air waves via UVH/VHF and HF frequencies, and using Digital Repeater Networks like DMR, System Fusion, Wires X and D-Star.

Introduction

So before I dive right in there are a few key vocabulary words you need to know.

TNC: terminal node controller- it’s used to turn binary data into audio packets and audio packets back into data packets. It operates similar to the old dialup 56 K modems.

Packets: the most common mode of digital modes is called packet radio because you are sending and receiving small packages of audio data that the TNC decodes. (APRS is a common use of Packet Radio more information can be found HERE)

Decoder: a hardware device or software program used to turn Data into readable information

OS: operating system (refers to the base system of you laptop, tablet, or smartphone

Raspberry Pi: a miniature computer running a Linux OS

Linux: a open source OS

Open Source: a type of computer software in which source code is released under a license in which the copyright holder grants users the rights to use, study, change, and distribute the software to anyone and for any purpose. Open-source software may be developed in a collaborative public manner. Wikipedia

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So now that we have some of the lingo out of the way let’s move on to what we need to start operating digitally.

1: a radio system with
2: TNC
3: some kind of digital device like a Laptop, Raspberry Pi, or in some cases a cell phone or tablet will work.

I’m cheap... I hate spending money on stuff I can build myself, and make them work for what I want to do. A mature radio is perfect for me because the sky is the limit on what I can build myself to fit my personal needs.

Since this is a mobile setup on a budget let’s start by taking the infamous Analog Baofeng UV5R and Turn it into a micro digital packet radio. To do this we need to attach a TNC to the HT then attach the TNC to a digital device. We need to know what kind of digital modes we are going to be running. For Overlanding the two most important modes to us is going to APRS, again I linked a walk through on this earlier, and the second is sending out emails.
Let’s dive into the APRS a little bit because you already have two key pieces of kit. The Baofeng Radio and a cell phone. All that is missing is the TNC. I personally use a Mobile Linked TNC3 because it has Bluetooth capabilities, is Android IOS 10+ Windows and Linux capable. It’s kind of spendy but the price will pay for itself later on as we get further along. Don’t forget to pick up your cables for your radio while you’re there.

So now we have the TNC3, our radio, and our Cell phone. First we need to configure the radio, set the frequency to 146.39, open the menus and toggle to SQL and set it to 0. make sure VOX is set to off.

Next we just install APRSDroid for Android or
APRS.FI for IOS. Once the install is complete configure the software with your call sign. Grid locater square, and your username/password.
Close out of the app and download the TNC3 app for your OS. Once installed pair your TNC3 to your device using the configuration app you just downloaded. Fallow the on screen settings to make sure your radio and TNC is tuned.

Close out of the TNC app, and now open the APRS app. ( I don’t have a droid so you will have to google how to use APRS droid. ) In APRS.Fi open the hamburger in the far right bottom corner.

next select settings

8B27305D-3672-413E-AA73-37626614397F.jpeg
Setting should look like this

846DCEC4-CC1A-4973-955B-3B1A54F9C040.png
go back to More and select TNC & DSP modems. Once there go to select a TNC or Software Modem. You should see TNC3 Mobilinkd as the only option, go ahead and select it which will close the pop up and give you the fallowing message

90773B4F-757D-4447-BD9A-4AE1CFD6A694.png

From the More Menu, select Extra Features, you’re going to need to pay for the service to send text and email, don’t worry it’s
69A12FBB-CB5D-4CA9-8A2E-F2D4D7EE1F17.png

So we are almost set up. Go to the Beacon at the bottom of the screen and you should see the fallowing screen.
Click on your call sign to swap between different profiles if you wish.
62E22E72-98BB-44E7-B888-FD4370EC8D4E.jpeg

pressing the call sign selects it and automatically takes you back to the previous page. Click beacon now. You should hear your radio squawking, and see the display on the radio flashing. Don’t worry, you didn’t break anything, you just sent and received your first set of Packets.
DF5B4243-E47D-4F6F-B068-3D5E334EDBCC.jpeg

now you should see your call sign on the map.
01C6986F-526D-4B2E-834D-3B6F7B6A1246.png
Next we are going to send a message, so click on the envelope at the bottom of the screen.

BF478F98-AE50-4684-846D-4F9F05D38FA5.jpeg

once the message is complete hit send and you’re done.
96696D04-EF9C-49D9-8673-9F36CAFD3D81.png
This concludes APRS, Next we will talk about WinLink.
Download WinLink RMS Express for Windows.

Last edited:

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Hey, thanks for this write up. I've thought about doing something like this for a while but lazyness tends to get the better of me. However, Its kind of a kick for me to get a digital setup as I have quite a few HT's floating around...

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
amazing write up! is there a data limit that can be sent when doing this?
Yes there is a data limit on APRS, hence I’m going to try and dive into WinLink next. I started with the cheapest and easiest method of getting on the air digitally, and progressively moving up the ladder to the harder and more expensive methods.
WinLink is a little more complicated to set up, especially for a novice that has never done it before. YouTube Chanel Ham Radio Concepts does a very good job covering the set up of WinLink using a HT and Mobilinkd TNC2. The TNC3 set up is the same, except you can use a 9600 baud rate. He mentioned that there is a latency issue between the software and the baeofeng uv5r. However there is a work around now with the new firmware for the Mobilinkd TNC3 and the newest version of WinLink Express.

WinLink Express Download

Mobilinkd TNC3 User guide

Mobilinkd TNC3 Firmware (newest version)
Firmware update instructions

I hope this gives you all a start on using WinLink.

Next we will discuss how to set up a Raspberry Pi to be the all in one Mobile Ham Shack to ditch the laptop.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thank you for this. I was still on TNC3 firmware 1.17. Took me awhile to get into DFU mode. Apparently, I was using an underpowered/wrong type of mini USB cable lol.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thank you for this. I was still on TNC3 firmware 1.17. Took me awhile to get into DFU mode. Apparently, I was using an underpowered/wrong type of mini USB cable lol.
You’re welcome. The first thing I did when I got my TNC3 was updated the firmware.
What modes of digital are you running?
Should I get into RTTY, PSK, FT8. DMR, SDR? Or keep going the way I have been going?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
You’re welcome. The first thing I did when I got my TNC3 was updated the firmware.
What modes of digital are you running?
Should I get into RTTY, PSK, FT8. DMR, SDR? Or keep going the way I have been going?
I believe I picked up my TNC3 right before the upgrade was available. I normally do the same, upgrade right away lol. I've only used my TNC3 with my Boefeng handheld and my mobile Kenwood in my rig with some success, while in my neighborhood. I have not ventured out with my Yaseu. I did configure the TNC3 with the Yaseu but didn't have any luck as there are no digital towers near me. All my testing was after getting my license and at the beginning of COVID, so I haven't been out unfortunately. My gadgets are collecting dust.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I believe I picked up my TNC3 right before the upgrade was available. I normally do the same, upgrade right away lol. I've only used my TNC3 with my Boefeng handheld and my mobile Kenwood in my rig with some success, while in my neighborhood. I have not ventured out with my Yaseu. I did configure the TNC3 with the Yaseu but didn't have any luck as there are no digital towers near me. All my testing was after getting my license and at the beginning of COVID, so I haven't been out unfortunately. My gadgets are collecting dust.
Well, let’s knock the dust off them and put them to use in your house... practice at home before you need it out in the back country.

My next post will be about the Pi Shack, it will help knock the dust of of @RoarinRow gadgets and allow us to move seamlessly between our ham shacks to the road.

• Haha

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So far we have covered using a HT, Mobilinkd TNC. Windows Laptop, and Cell phone’s to operate APRS and send messages via WinLink. But let’s face it, a laptop takes up a lot of relestate in our rig, and we are already using our Tablet/cell phone for navigation. Running APRS in the background is ok, but frustrating at times to say the least (hence I wish GAIA had a APRS overlay). But what if I told you a credit card sized computer could do navigation, APRS, WinLink, and almost all of the digital modes?

I was given a Raspberry Pi V3B+ to try and get into digital communication via VHF. (Thanks you by the way @Greg Eigsti for starting me on this journey.). I had no clue what to do with this little device, so I turned to the interwebs looking for ideas and inspiration. After many unsuccessful attempts at Installing various programs for operating digitally I found KM4ACK’s Build A Pi series on YouTube. I fallowed along through his video tutorial and put together my first Pi Shack. Well after I finished building the Pi Software, Jason came out with Build A Pi V2.0 which is an automated intsall of the Build A Pi V1. It worked great, but you couldn’t update the software packages without completely uninstalling and reinstalling everything. Then just as I was about to give up yet again, Jason Came our with BAP 3.0. BAP 3.0 is a fully featured Pi Shack based off the Raspberry Pi 3 hardware, but also supports Pi 4 as well as earlier versions of Pi as well. In his latest release, the software now automatically updates only the programs that need to be updated. Even the kernel files are self updating.

So instead of me talkI got you through the Build A Pi process, grab a beverage, maybe some snacks, and take some notes as Jason tells us more about Build A Pi V3.0 and how to install it. Make sure to hit the like and subscribe buttons as Jason is always releasing more content that is relevant to Overlanding (check out his JL).

The build a pi scrip can be found here

KM4ACK YouTube landing page where you can find a lot of other good portable operations using a Pi.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So far we have been doing all the digital work off the factory rubber duck on our HT. Which works ok at best. But what if we want to use our digital radio setup in our vehicle or yet in our shack at home? The stock antenna just might not work very well.
For our vehicle the answer is very easy. Just buy an magnetic antenna off of Amazon.
Bingfu Dual Band VHF UHF 136-174MHz 400-470MHz Ham Radio Antenna Handheld Two Way Radio Magnetic Base SMA Female Antenna for Kenwood Wouxun BaoFeng BF-F8HP UV-5R UV-82 BF-888S Ham Radio Walkie Talkie

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’ll be adding a portable antenna for both the shack and portable later today.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
You're really starting to scratch my diy electronics itch with the raspi. I do a lot of experimenting with Arduino. and I wanted a good reason to play with a raspi...
Now.. If we connect the two, and build a hamshack with a arduino controlled switching system and a touchscreen... :smirkcat:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I left off with Antennas. There are literally thousands of books written on antenna theory. I’m not going to dive into the different antenna systems as this opens a whole can of worms not intended for this discussion.

We want an antenna that can be easily set up at home in an HOA, as well as being able to be used at base camp. We want a great performing antenna that is light weight, easy to deploy, and will work both the 70 centimeter and 2 meter bands. I love building antennas, but realize some of you would rather go out and buy one. But let’s be honest here, I’m trying to keep costs at a minimum and costs incurred can go on to the next project.

here are two possible antennas that are easy to build for not much coin.

Flower pot antenna.

2m/70 cm fan dipole

I have not built either antenna yet, but I’m thinking more along the lines of the 2m/70cm Fan dipole since it’s on both bands. However instead of copper pipe, I’m thinking of using some 5/16 Stainless Rod I have lying around and an old project box. Im still working out mounting solutions in my head for how to attach the rods to the box, and then the box to a railing .