BuckinghamBuilt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pasadena, MD
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Buckingham
My Leitner Designs ACS w/ GearPod XL storage arrived last week and I installed it last weekend. I purchased the GearPod XL for my overland build but after mounting it I'm considering making it multipurposed by using half the space for a possible solar setup. I'm not sold on this idea yet so hoping to get some feedback and possible suggestions. Yeah, I could just buy a Jackery but what fun would that be :grinning:

The design would incorporate:
  • Battery (12V AGM or Lithium)
  • MPPT Charge Controller
  • Pure Sine Inverter
  • DC-To-DC Charger (this is want and not a need so its something I would possibly add in the future so I would make sure the design leaves space for this)

Concerns (and a few questions):
  • Elements- This unit is currently sealed but configuring this for additional needs would require I drill some holes in the bottom and back of unit to accommodate a DIY platform using wood and bolts
  • Weather- depending on battery selection I would need a way to protect the battery when its below freezing. Heat pads maybe? The opposite of that is heat so in that case I could use something like a computer exhaust fan
  • Fit and Finish- I have no type of woodworking skills but I would cut two pieces of MDF board connected by a piano hinge, and maybe add some nice carpet material. The board would also act as a wall to keep the storage area separate (hopefully reduces something catching fire or shorting something out). Any suggestions for wood material or alternatives to carpet?

leitnergearpodxl_dimensions.PNG

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

I am doing the same thing with one of the smaller pods. I bought 2 computer fans with a programable on/off for temp. (1 is for pulling air in one is for pushing out) I bought some round vents to cover holes. I put a plastic panel on the inside with plugs and usb ports.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Any progress on this? I have the Leitner setup and enjoy seeing what others have done.