Rank II

Contributor III

Northampton, MA, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Manning
Member #

Hi, noob here and just starting this journey. I have a 2020 Toyota Tacoma with a oversized (height) Leer truck cap that has the integrated Thule rack system (500 pound static load). I'm looking to buy the oversized 270 awning system and mount that to as big a basket I can get for the truck cap. So looking for a recommendation for the basket. It will be primarily for storage of gear while in transit (camp chairs, a few watertight bins, things like that) and the mounting of the awnings.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
welcome, patrick...good to have you as a member
i have a yakima system on top of my cap and i went with the Tyger brand basket. i compared it to yakima and liked this one better...it is very heavy duty and is 68" long and 41" wide...it would certainly hold an awning with ease. i also found some really good mounts that go on the basket...
sometimes we travel with just the truck and cap and when we do, i also use a swing away hitch mount basket. when we stop, all i have to do is swing the basket away to the side and open the tailgate. just msg me if you are interested in that, too. i love having it on trips

P1000451 (4).JPG

Last edited:

Botterboosch

Rank II

Contributor III

Northampton, MA, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Manning
Member #

welcome, patrick...good to have you as a member
i have a yakima system on top of my cap and i went with the Tyger brand basket. i compared it to yakima and liked this one better...it is very heavy duty and is 68" long and 41" wide...it would certainly hold an awning with ease. i also found some really good mounts that go on the basket...
sometimes we travel with just the truck and cap and when we do, i also use a swing away hitch mount basket. when we stop, all i have to do is swing the basket away to the side and open the tailgate. just msg me if you are interested in that, too. i love having it on trips

View attachment 218723
Thank you for the recommendation! My only issue with the Tiger is I have thicker crossbars (got the cap in the pandemic so wasn’t aware there were different sizes). The width is fine but the thickness is bigger than the max 1.05” (it measures 1 3/4”). I’m assuming I can simply swap out the bolts with longer ones?

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Ah! I didn't chime in because I figured Grub had this handled. Now I'll be paying more attention. Looks like you have the cross bars that came with the Trac Rac Cap Rac, which is what I have. Trac Rac was bought out by Thule a few years ago. You may be able to find something Google-ing Cap Rac or Trac Rac cross bar compatible. But still be wary. When under Trac Rac, those racks had ASE/ imperial hardware. When Thule bought them, they went to metric sizes. Depends if you have Thule or Trac Rac version.

20210524_123909.jpg20210530_160630.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Yakima stuff and Thule stuff are seldom easily compatible.

You may want to try the Thule Canyon XT. It does have a T-bolt attachment option, which should fit into the same groove that your cross bar tie down "bookends" fit into. It only has a 150 carry capacity, though

Last edited: