Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm about to install a new roof rack, and redo all the wiring for my LED lighting.

Due to having to pull wire through small spaces, be efficient, and make it easier to pull the wire... I was wondering if anyone a little more experienced could help out.

I stumbled across this PDF that seems to be the information that I'm looking for, though I'm hoping that someone can confirm.

http://www.sunforceproducts.com/Support Section/Solar Panel & Charge Controllers/WireGaugeSelectionTable.pdf

wire.jpeg

All the LED's are VisionX, from the same series, purchased at the same time. So I can safely assume that they're all the same 5w per LED.

I have..
  • 4 lines that will be 15w/1.25A@12v
  • 1 that will be 30w/2.5A@12v
  • 1 that will be 135w/11.25A@12v
If the chart above is accurate I'm going to need
  • x4 20 Gauge
  • x1 18 Gauge
  • x1 16 Gauge
Is there a better chart? Can I go smaller on my little lights?

The follow up question is. Since they're all going to a common ground point, is there any reason I can't combine the ground wires to save some space if I do the math with the totals in the chart, or might that cause damage or other interference with communications and audio..?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

W4P

Rank III

Advocate II

Sudbury
Wiring can be a pain but the math is simple. Ground return can be metal of vehicle if continuous chassis. Otherwise ground wire must be rated for total current and if like me plus ten percent. If you have tools measure current of each as they are not always accurate. Not necessary just a add thing. Total current is 19 if lights are on one switch one 12 gauge wire. If separate use 16 andbuy bulk.. Cheaper.if you have room. Use plastic split wire covering from auto shop. Ifcreative you can find one cable with multi wires at industrial electric shop. Stranded wire. The list you have is OK if wire,switch each but small gauge wire is fragile. Better to run 16 or larger takes into account the future? Hope you aren't too confused! Quality wire,good insulation, inside sleeve,solder shrink connections, fuses. Have fun!!!!!