Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I just finished up my Gobi rack installation and I'm thinking some LED lights are next on the wish list. Does anyone have some suggestions on 8" LED lights? There are so many choices out there...

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

Are you thinking rack mounted or replacing your headlights?

Oldmancrash

Rank 0

Contributor I

From what I have heard. The biggest problem with LED lights is the moisture leaks in. I just now purchased 4 4" LEDS for the sides of rack on my truck and it says these are waterproof. We will see. I guess the cure is pretty easy. Just silicone around the glass and where the case splits. I think unless you spend several hundred $$ you are kind of stuck in the cheap o zone. Then I see rigid lights are the preferred brand

UKCRD

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor III

The Rigids are good. I have one of their Duallys as a rear flood light.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I had Rigids on my my Gobi roof rack for a long time.  They're fantastic.  I'm probably moving them to the Commander project if I don't sell them with the roof rack.

I also have VisionX lights, and many people in my SAR unit have them.  They are also great lights.

The VisionX seem to be brighter and a bit better focused, and the Rigids seem to be a little more durable (Though, I haven't broken, or seen either brand broken).  Both are completely waterproof and take a beating and have great electronics, optics, and heat sinks.  Both companies have fantastic support and are guaranteed for 50k hours

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

For a cheaper option, I have 2 sets of nilights 51w leds that I got off Amazon.

They are very bright, and actually are true to their wattage claims. They cost about $100 per pair.

FirewallPhotography

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler I

Probably late to this thread, but I have 8" LEDs on the sides and rear of my rig, with PIA old schools for driving.  I like the look and ease of the LEDs but I find the light falloff to be too shallow.  Meaning, the light does not project as far as a lensed light.  They are definitely bright at the source, but....

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

On that it depends on the degree pattern of the reflector. I have both 30 and 60 degree lights, and the 30s (spot beam) reach out further than the 60s (flood) do.

I have a new light bar on the way that is classified as a ultra spot (5 degree) and I'm hoping that takes care of my distance issues. I have some piaa 525s and I cannot see them with my unknown brand curved bar