LED lights and EMI affecting radios

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I have a single set of Aurora LED light pods and they cause massive electromagnetic interference with my CB and ham radios. Apparently the manufacturer put a bunch of effort into the case and none into the LED driver.

There is no way to shield the radios from this interference since it is being emitted into the air and not through the power system. That means I have to sell my lights and buy new ones that don't emit EMI. The problem is that I can't find any mention on company websites if their product is tested for EMI.

I was hoping members here who run radios and have LED bars and pods could tell me the brand of the lights, if they have run their radios and lights at the same time and whether or not any EMI was noted in the radio (cb or ham).

I assume that if this affects me, it will affect others. I hope this thread becomes a resource for those outfitting their rigs so they don't make the same costly mistake I did.

caleath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Are they affecting the fm/am also? I thought all devices were supposed to be tested for radio interference. The el cheapo ones I have arent affecting my am/fm and I dont have a cb hooked up yet.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Unfortunately automotive parts like this are not tested by the FCC. It is probably because it is only fairly recently with LED drivers and HID ballasts from cheap manufacturers that signal interference has been an issue. Halogen lights don't have this problem.

Looking online for "LED radio interference" comes up with a lot of people having this issue with their FM stereo, CB radio, and ham radio. So far no one has a fix, ferrite chokes don't do anything when the EMI is being emitted from the unit and not through the power system.

Reactions: NW David

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I had 3 sets of LED lights on my Duramax and when I used the Rigid brand cube lights or the Northern Tool cube lights I had no interference, but when I used the cheaper Autozone brand light bar I always got interference over the CB radio. The higher quality brands are definitely better at blocking the interference - just look at the desert off road racers and see what brands they are using as they can not have EMI leakage coming out over their radio systems while racing. It is probably best to use the cheap ones for side and rear lighting, as they are used less often compared to front lighting.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

These were not cheap lights at $90 per cube and $100 for two used with the "friend discount". That is one of the reasons I'm very annoyed at Aurora. They advertise as meeting or exceeding military specifications, but my brother was a signal officer in the infantry and there is no way this much EMI would be acceptable.

Reactions: NW David

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

I had 3 sets of LED lights on my Duramax and when I used the Rigid brand cube lights or the Northern Tool cube lights I had no interference, but when I used the cheaper Autozone brand light bar I always got interference over the CB radio. The higher quality brands are definitely better at blocking the interference - just look at the desert off road racers and see what brands they are using as they can not have EMI leakage coming out over their radio systems while racing. It is probably best to use the cheap ones for side and rear lighting, as they are used less often compared to front lighting.
Sadly can't always afford the best of the best. Or the worst of the best for that matter. I would be stoked to find a low emi "discount brand" I hear procomps are actually made by visionx and rigid depending on what model

But I haven't started looking into that too much yet.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Have you tried grounding the LED driver directly to a frame ground or a ferrite bead on the power line to see if it helps. Might be a cheap fix.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Typically groundng to the chassis causes the interference. Ferrite chokes were the first thing I tried and they had no effect, which is why I think the lights have EMI emissions and are not causing power "noise" in the vehicle.

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

Typically groundng to the chassis causes the interference. Ferrite chokes were the first thing I tried and they had no effect, which is why I think the lights have EMI emissions and are not causing power "noise" in the vehicle.
I figured you probably knew what you were doing with the Ham and all, just thought I'd ask. Thought grounding the LED driver or the light pod itself might prevent some of the spurious emissions. Also, just thinking all our army trucks are religiously grounded to frame, antenna mounts, amplifiers, radios, trays, etc. But then we do ground stake them in when they aren't mobile.

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
The radio interference testing that is advertised on products doesn't mean that it won't give out interference. It means the device has been tested not to receive interference from everyday signals that are in the air already.

Sounds like you need to build a faraday cage around that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk