Rank III

Advocate II

Southern California
First Name
Coi
Last Name
Tajo
Member #

looking to outfit my JK with some LED cube/bar lighting and am wondering which type of lights people prefer to run on the A-pillar mounted cubes: spot or flood?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I generally don't want lights there at all, they tend to cause a lot of glare on the hood, making it hard to see. Also, make sure your lights are designed to not cause interference with CBs and other radios. Right now I'm struggling with horrible static cause by my Aurora lights.

Reactions: kandyredcoi

kandyredcoi

Rank III

Advocate II

Southern California
First Name
Coi
Last Name
Tajo
Member #

good call, how do you prevent the interference with the radios?

btw im also planning on running the 50" LED bar lights on the roof and a 20" bar on my bumper (eventually)

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm still working on that problem. Some people think it is noise n the power system from the LED driver, others think it is broadcasting emitting EFI and being picked up by the radio antennas. I'm going to need to do some testing to see if I can isolate the power on the radio or if the lights are broadcasting radio noise.

kandyredcoi

Rank III

Advocate II

Southern California
First Name
Coi
Last Name
Tajo
Member #

I'm still working on that problem. Some people think it is noise n the power system from the LED driver, others think it is broadcasting emitting EFI and being picked up by the radio antennas. I'm going to need to do some testing to see if I can isolate the power on the radio or if the lights are broadcasting radio noise.
sounds complicate yikes [emoji15]

-Coi-
2017 JKU / SoCal
instagram: @kandyredcoi

ExploreDesert

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Menifee, Ca
Member #

Like TrexTerra said, be careful about mounting LED lights on the roof/pillar as the spill can illuminate the hood and dust on the windshield making it hard to see and keep focus. If you spend the coin and get a name brand light (Baja Designs), a spot beam can be focused enough within the optics to greatly reduce this, but chinese stuff usually throws light all over the place regardless of what pattern you order.

If you want truly effective lighting, keep your front lighting down low.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/Science-of-Lighting/Lighting-Zones.asp

kandyredcoi

Rank III

Advocate II

Southern California
First Name
Coi
Last Name
Tajo
Member #

Like TrexTerra said, be careful about mounting LED lights on the roof/pillar as the spill can illuminate the hood and dust on the windshield making it hard to see and keep focus. If you spend the coin and get a name brand light (Baja Designs), a spot beam can be focused enough within the optics to greatly reduce this, but chinese stuff usually throws light all over the place regardless of what pattern you order.

If you want truly effective lighting, keep your front lighting down low.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/Science-of-Lighting/Lighting-Zones.asp

nice, thanks for the tip

-Coi-
2017 JKU / SoCal

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I have some Vision X Light Cannons on my A Pillars. Honestly, haven't had a real need to use them but I would like a nice set of spots on my bumper. Those paired with the Truck Lite LED's would be plenty bright. One problem that I have noticed with A-Piller mounts is that they will rust and that rust could potentially make its way to the paint. I have already painted my EVO A Piller mounts once and I am going to have to do it again.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
What if you mounted the pillar lights onto your side mirrors? That would move the light further away from the hood for glare and make them more adjustable . If you plan on mounting a light bar up onto the roof - mount if further back instead of right up front on the edge of the windshield to help with glare. Side lights on the roof rack be sure to mount them further to the rear to help with glare.

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

BD Squadron sports on ditch light mounts.. they work great and don't interfere with any of my radios.

Used them all spring and they are just as bright as my 500ff across the front. Combo/Driving version throws very well and barely hits the edges of the fender/hood.

Last edited:

kandyredcoi

Rank III

Advocate II

Southern California
First Name
Coi
Last Name
Tajo
Member #

I have some Vision X Light Cannons on my A Pillars. Honestly, haven't had a real need to use them but I would like a nice set of spots on my bumper. Those paired with the Truck Lite LED's would be plenty bright. One problem that I have noticed with A-Piller mounts is that they will rust and that rust could potentially make its way to the paint. I have already painted my EVO A Piller mounts once and I am going to have to do it again.
oh wow thanks for the heads up. ill probably stick to 20" spots on my bumper

-Coi-
2017 JKU / SoCal

r2fasani

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Ripon, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Fasani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZQ
That's disappointing. EVO usually makes such high quality stuff. I was planning on getting those A pillar mounts with some Rigid side shooters.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
That's disappointing. EVO usually makes such high quality stuff. I was planning on getting those A pillar mounts with some Rigid side shooters.

You are telling me. It was my first Evo Product and my very first mod to the Jeep. Granted, I have had them for about 2 years but still, the powder coat is chipping really bad. Might actually repaint them this weekend.

EscoTerrestrial

US East Region Member Rep
Staff member
Investor

Influencer II

Port Washington, NY, USA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Escobar
Member #

BD Squadron sports on ditch light mounts.. they work great and don't interfere with any of my radios.

Used them all spring and they are just as bright as my 500ff across the front. Combo/Driving version throws very well and barely hits the edges of the fender/hood.
Beutiful setup, luv it

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: alaskan.lad

EscoTerrestrial

US East Region Member Rep
Staff member
Investor

Influencer II

Port Washington, NY, USA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Escobar
Member #

Love all the pics up here gave me tons of ideas n concepts to try n i just finished up my lighting job, let me know what yall think. I wanted adequate lighting forward for dark trails and 360 lighting for cap and RTT tent and all around jobs where light is hard to come by.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

I run Rigid Dually's on my A-Pillars (spot beam). I do not get any reflection off the hood once they are adjusted to the correct position and I am running a 20" light bar on my front bumper from Amazon for $27. I was very skeptical on buying the light bar, but I was sure to test it and put it to the test before running it.

I spent good money on my Rigid lights to ensure I did not get something that looked bright, but was actually going to give me a strong and solid spot beam that would not reflect back into my eyes.

For the amazon light bar, that thing is REALLY BRIGHT. I do not regret it one bit and if it craps out, breaks or I have any issues, ~$30 is easily replaceable in my opinion.

Full transparency, I rarely use my rigid lights these days as the light bar throws so much light out that they are both not needed. I put some amber filters on the rigids and use them during fog and low visibility days.