Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

I'm looking at 20" light bars and have looked at Rigid and Baja Designs. Both are pretty pricey. Don't mind spending more it it's worth it in the long term, but those are pricey. Any thoughts on Rough Country? Any other brand recommendations? Plan on using it off road maybe 6-10 times per year. Don't want one that's going to look like crap in a year (faded housing, yellowed lens, condensation issues). Appreciate any and all info.

Reactions: Kraut4x4

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

I have sold both Chinese no brand light bars to Rigid light bars.... There is a difference in quality but not for the every day user... if you were doing the baja 1000 and were going to abuse the crap out of the lights I would say go Rigid or BD....

-Raul

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Take a look at TuffStuff4x4.com. I've been using their lights for about one year and I'm very pleased. When I bought them, I was told they're made by the same Chinese company that makes KC lights. Although there's no way to confirm this, it was a perfect match to a KC harness and plug that I was using. Their prices are very good too, $225 for a 50", 20" and two cube combo deal.

I'm looking at 20" light bars and have looked at Rigid and Baja Designs. Both are pretty pricey. Don't mind spending more it it's worth it in the long term, but those are pricey. Any thoughts on Rough Country? Any other brand recommendations? Plan on using it off road maybe 6-10 times per year. Don't want one that's going to look like crap in a year (faded housing, yellowed lens, condensation issues). Appreciate any and all info.

Reactions: Doug C

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

Take a look at TuffStuff4x4.com. I've been using their lights for about one year and I'm very pleased. When I bought them, I was told they're made by the same Chinese company that makes KC lights. Although there's no way to confirm this, it was a perfect match to a KC harness and plug that I was using. Their prices are very good too, $225 for a 50", 20" and two cube combo deal.
Great! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check them out.

Reactions: Narbob

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

I dont have experience with the spendy brands, but there is nothing wrong with the cheaper options if you keep in mind that they are cheap and that you may only get a year or two of use before a failure depending on the conditions you live and drive in.

I got a $47 31" bar for my tacoma and it has been great so far. If it gives me a year of use, Ill be happy because it was so cheap.

Nate 5303

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tualatin oregon
Member #

I've had good luck with the Auxbeam lights. Found them on amazon, and they are cheap. If they break of get stolen, it doesn't hurt as bad.

Nate

Reactions: Scout

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

The problem I found with the off brands, like AUXBEAM is that the claimed lumens are false. I recently replaced a cheap Amazon light with a comparable Rigid, that should be the same lumens, and the Rigid is twice as bright. It was fine while I was ignorant of the fact that I wasn't getting what I thought I was getting.

I've also been told that the optics can be better in high-end brands like Baja Designs compared to your Amazon $60 dollar light bars.

Most of the cheap ones are designed first to look like the expensive brands in appearance. Performing the same is secondary. Most people assume it's the same based on appearance first.

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

I run the SAFU brand light bars off of Amazon. I have had great luck with them. I literally run my light bar daily on my commute to work through the back country roads. I have had limbs and all manner of things hit the one on my daily driver and I have smashed the ones on my crawler in to rocks and they still work and look good. The lenses seem to be made from some good quality polycarbonate, no signs of clouding after 2-3 years of use. Good price and they hold up well. I'll keep buying them.

IMG_3255.JPGFrom behind out in the west Texas desert. IMG_3064.JPG All forward lights and alley lights. Anymore light than this and road signs reflecting back blind you. I did have a pair 9" ARB Intensity lights behind the grille. Them plus the roof bar was way to bright. They will be going back on when I finish my bumper build.
IMG_3065.JPGHeadlights, fog lights and amber on light bar.

Headlights and fog lights are OPT7 led h11 replacement bulbs in stock housings jic you were wondering.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetDep and Doug C

leeandamy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Orange, Texas
Member #

Rigid for the money will be my pick... I have two pair that survived a wreck during the Baja 1000 last year. Buy them one time.

Badmeat

Rank 0

Traveler I

I had a Kawell 20" bar on my old 3rd gen 4Runner and now have a 28" Kawell light bar on my 5th gen. No issues with either and they put out some serious light.

Evergreen_cummins

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bothell, Washington, USA
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Blomdahl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7PZT
I really have liked Heise. They are a company that highly resembles Vision X, except for same quality but much cheaper. I have their 4.5 inch led round lights that are great, and their 14 inch light bar that has worked well on my car and truck.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using OB Talk mobile app

HammPhoto

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bethel, CT
Member #

I've been extremely happy with my BlackOak setup.

20" combo bar with flood pods on the a pillars. The light has been awesome for every day use and really projects. It's been on for about a year now and I've got no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Food for thought Rigid vs "quality" China brand Auxbeam

I know for myself I currently have all Rigid Industries stuff on my truck but I will be swapping that over to Baja Designs as they are the same price, are often more compact (led auxiliary lighting not light bars) and put out more light even with near identical lumen outputs.

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

20" combo bar with flood pods on the a pillars. The light has been awesome for every day use and really projects. It's been on for about a year now and I've got no complaints.

Hadn't heard of black oak. Definitely gonna check them out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

On your 20" did you go with the 3 watt or 5 watt option?

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Baja Designs. Made in the USA. Amazing customer service. Lenses have a full O-ring gasket and not a bead of silicone so they are user-serviceable and you can swap lenses if you happen to have bought amber and want white.... or like to change for the seasons.