Leaving your 12v fridge plugged in?

• HTML tutorial

Rubicon_Flash

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Texas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATB
I've had my Dometic CFX40 for 5 years now and the last 4 of those years, it has been constantly plugged in when I'm not camping. I've had no issues with it up until just a few weeks ago when I noticed that it won't let me change the temp on the unit. It still powers on, but I just can't change the temp on it anymore. I don't know if that's a result of the compressor always being plugged in or just wear and tear from all the years of camping/overlanding. The other thing that started happening is that with it set at 48 degrees, items placed at the bottom of the fridge will freeze solid - even when the fridge is full, particularly liquids. So I just place the meats and such at the bottom and keep everything else above that. However, I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and pick up the CFX3 45 since I have a 20% off coupon.

Z Adventures

Rank VI
Investor

Pathfinder III

Georgia, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Zeilenga
Member #

I have the CFX55IM. Lately I leave it in the truck bed and just clean it out and turn it off. It has an RTT over it so it doesn't see much sun or rain while sitting there. There are holiday occasions where we need the extra fridge space and I bring it in the house.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have one in the truck and one in the trailer.

Neither are running unless they are needed. They weren't running when they got here, manufacturer doesn't run them in rhe warehouse, it isn't going to be detrimental in any way not to run them.

Reactions: Sparksalot

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Well for a second there I thought there may only be couple of us that actually turn our refrigerator off when not in use. Even in the house I turn off items that are not in use, some I unplug. I see no difference with the frig. Why run it unless you are using it! I can see periodic maintenance cycling. Just MHO

Rubicon_Flash

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Texas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATB
Well for a second there I thought there may only be couple of us that actually turn our refrigerator off when not in use. Even in the house I turn off items that are not in use, some I unplug. I see no difference with the frig. Why run it unless you are using it! I can see periodic maintenance cycling. Just MHO
For me, I am using it while it's plugged in, even when I'm not camping, I leave drinks in it. Just like the fridge in the house, there's something always in it, even though it's not being used at the moment. IJS.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I've had my Dometic CFX40 for 5 years now and the last 4 of those years, it has been constantly plugged in when I'm not camping. I've had no issues with it up until just a few weeks ago when I noticed that it won't let me change the temp on the unit. It still powers on, but I just can't change the temp on it anymore. I don't know if that's a result of the compressor always being plugged in or just wear and tear from all the years of camping/overlanding. The other thing that started happening is that with it set at 48 degrees, items placed at the bottom of the fridge will freeze solid - even when the fridge is full, particularly liquids. So I just place the meats and such at the bottom and keep everything else above that. However, I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and pick up the CFX3 45 since I have a 20% off coupon.
I'm confused, easily sometimes, so bear with me here. You bought a fridge 5 years ago and it is malfunctioning. Yet, you're going to purchase the same brand of fridge and do it all over again thinking that 5 years is a good lifespan? I've two fridges. One is used as a dedicated freezer, and is 10 years old, the other is 8 years old and used as a dedicated fridge. I never plug them in at home, so they are not used but, 16 weeks a year +/-. The average lifespan of these units is 15-20 years with constant use. There are reports of them lasting 30 years.

Rubicon_Flash

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Texas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATB
I'm confused, easily sometimes, so bear with me here. You bought a fridge 5 years ago and it is malfunctioning. Yet, you're going to purchase the same brand of fridge and do it all over again thinking that 5 years is a good lifespan? I've two fridges. One is used as a dedicated freezer, and is 10 years old, the other is 8 years old and used as a dedicated fridge. I never plug them in at home, so they are not used but, 16 weeks a year +/-. The average lifespan of these units is 15-20 years with constant use. There are reports of them lasting 30 years.
YUP, don't know if it's an issue I caused b/c I keep it plugged in 24/7 or what. But I'm giving the same company another shot. Will get the unit looked at, but I use it all the time, so it's being used on a daily basis. Will use the new one only when I go out camping and keep using the current one on a daily basis. It hasn't stopped working, it just doesn't let me change the temperature via the panel on the fridge.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

YUP, don't know if it's an issue I caused b/c I keep it plugged in 24/7 or what. But I'm giving the same company another shot. Will get the unit looked at, but I use it all the time, so it's being used on a daily basis. Will use the new one only when I go out camping and keep using the current one on a daily basis. It hasn't stopped working, it just doesn't let me change the temperature via the panel on the fridge.
So how do you change temperatures? With an app, on just don't? If you just can't change it I would do what you are, and consign it to "use it up" duty and buy another one. Whether or not it ended up being the same brand would depend on the totality of my experience with the brand.

I do think it is worth mentioning that for most of these 12v refrigerators, they rely heavily on being full and using the thermal mass of the contents as a "booster" of sorts. Absent the thermal mass of contents the compressor/whole system will work much,much harder to maintain a temperature. So if you are going to run it every day, keep it full for best results. (None of this has anything to do with a control panel failure)

Rubicon_Flash

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North Texas
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5ATB
So how do you change temperatures? With an app, on just don't? If you just can't change it I would do what you are, and consign it to "use it up" duty and buy another one. Whether or not it ended up being the same brand would depend on the totality of my experience with the brand.

I do think it is worth mentioning that for most of these 12v refrigerators, they rely heavily on being full and using the thermal mass of the contents as a "booster" of sorts. Absent the thermal mass of contents the compressor/whole system will work much,much harder to maintain a temperature. So if you are going to run it every day, keep it full for best results. (None of this has anything to do with a control panel failure)
Well, it just starting doing this the other day, so I don't change the temp on it. It's pretty much stick at the temp I normally use it at. I will see what it will cost to get that fixed, if it can be fixed. The app won't work b/c I can't use the buttons on the unit. It's the previous generation of Dometic - the CFX 40. I just ordered the CFX3 45 and got a good deal on that for $600 plus tax, so I'm good with that. I like the brand and how it functions (at least for the last 5 years). Like I mentioned earlier, I don't know if it's just wear and tear from the 5 years of camping and overlanding and/or keeping it running 24/7. But I believe you have a point regarding the amount that it has to cool. I don't keep it full when it's at home, only drinks and such and then not very many. But when I'm camping, it's packed to the limit. I was thinking of going with an Iceco b/c they have that APL55 that's a dual zone for around $750 with a coupon. However, I don't really need a dual zone and this CFX3 45 unit was still cheaper (brand new) than the Icdco. So I'm gonna roll with Dometic for a bit longer.