Rank III

Enthusiast II

Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area, Texas, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Y
Member #

I just purchase a new 12v fridge and am wondering while I am at home and not out on trail do you normally leave it plugged in or unplug it? Does leaving it plugged in potentially damage or cause premature wear and tear on the unit. I am a newbie but wanting to get things set up the right way. Thanks

Reactions: Shahn

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Do you mean plugged into 12v in your vehicle while home, or into 110 in your house while home.

Might depend on the brand you bought (check their site FAQ and your manual to be certain), but in general if a quality fridge, it is as okay to leave plugged in as your fridge at home. I know guys who leave their ARB 50s plugged into 110 in their shop year 'round for drinks and such.

I've had mine plugged into 12v for as long as a year straight and will be setting up a spot in my shop for plugging it in.

What seems most common is keeping it empty and clean when home, then plugging it in to the house or garage the day or two before going adventuring to pre-chill it. Then pack it with cold and frozen, not room temp stuff. I also recommend keeping it full when out, even if it means putting water bottles or freezer packs in when you take something out. Your fridge will not work as hard to keep things cold if it's not chilling empty space.

CrookedSoulTX

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Y
Member #

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant plugged into your home when not in your vehicle. I just got the Dometic CFX3 55IM. Thats what I was wondering, do you use it at home for adult beverages and such, or just leave it cleaned and unplugged until you hit the road. I am only able to get out 1 a month at most so I did not want to do any damage or premature wear either way.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Sorry I should have clarified. I meant plugged into your home when not in your vehicle. I just got the Dometic CFX3 55IM. Thats what I was wondering, do you use it at home for adult beverages and such, or just leave it cleaned and unplugged until you hit the road. I am only able to get out 1 a month at most so I did not want to do any damage or premature wear either way.
Do a search for Dometic 12v fridges plugged in at home and I'll bet you'll find others who do it regularly. Dometic is a big fridge manufacturer and makes fridges that are private labeled under other names, so easy to consider that they know what they're doing.

I know the Dometic Waeco CFX can be left plugged into BOTH 12v and 240 AC at the same time and will pull from the 240AC before drawing from your 12v battery:

And...on the Dometic CFX page in the FAQ section, as suggested above, it says: "CFX3 can be used anywhere in the world and can be powered with 12-24VDC, or 100-240V AC @ 50/60Hz." If they were concerned about it hurting the fridge if left plugged in too long, or leading to other problems, they'd say so.

I think you're good to plug it in as long as you'd like, whether 110 at home in DFW or 12v on the road, or 110 in a powered campsite/RV park. Just don't think you need to plug it into an 110 inverter in your vehicle. That's wasting your 12v power.

Reactions: CrookedSoulTX

CrookedSoulTX

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Y
Member #

Do a search for Dometic 12v fridges plugged in at home and I'll bet you'll find others who do it regularly. Dometic is a big fridge manufacturer and makes fridges that are private labeled under other names, so easy to consider that they know what they're doing.

I know the Dometic Waeco CFX can be left plugged into BOTH 12v and 240 AC at the same time and will pull from the 240AC before drawing from your 12v battery:

And...on the Dometic CFX page in the FAQ section, as suggested above, it says: "CFX3 can be used anywhere in the world and can be powered with 12-24VDC, or 100-240V AC @ 50/60Hz." If they were concerned about it hurting the fridge if left plugged in too long, or leading to other problems, they'd say so.

I think you're good to plug it in as long as you'd like, whether 110 at home in DFW or 12v on the road, or 110 in a powered campsite/RV park. Just don't think you need to plug it into an 110 inverter in your vehicle. That's wasting your 12v power.

Thank you so much, appreciate all your insight!

Reactions: Road

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I have had my Engle MT45 Fridge since 2006 and it has been on 99% of the time. We started our trip of a lifetime back in the summer of 2018 and it has been on 100% of the time in freezer mode since then, still works great.

Reactions: Road and M Rose

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I only plug my Dometic when I need it. When I get home I just clean it and store it. If I left it plugged in my my rig I’m afraid people would see the LED lights of the fridge while in the back of my camper shell. I could always cover it but I’m sure the one time I didn’t would be the last. Plus I think I’d be saving my solar battery in the shell from having to keep the fridge on all the time.

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Refrigerators are designed to be run. I would be more concerned about not running it for weeks or months at a time between trips. Sometimes not using something can cause more “wear and tear” on the item than using it. One of the biggest reasons I have not dropped the money on a fridge. My coolers can sit for months unused with no issues. I just have to look forward to the day I can get out more often to justify the expense.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I think the only way to justify the price of a quality 12v fridge is to use it. Leave it in your vehicle and keep drinks and snacks in it, ring home cold stuff from the grocery store, etc. Mine used to run all the time in the FJ, but it had more capacity and solar. The setup I started with in the GX has been underwhelming to say the least. I'm working on a dual battery setup.

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
I think the only way to justify the price of a quality 12v fridge is to use it. Leave it in your vehicle and keep drinks and snacks in it, ring home cold stuff from the grocery store, etc. Mine used to run all the time in the FJ, but it had more capacity and solar. The setup I started with in the GX has been underwhelming to say the least. I'm working on a dual battery setup.
this ^ I use my fridge almost daily in my truck. Wether it’s lunch packed in it, groceries, or kids stuff. The freezer is currently stocked with deer meat too as I ran out of room in the house.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
My fridges since 2007 have all run 24/7 through brutal Phoenix summers. All the brands I have owned from ARB, National Luna, Engel, Dometic have worked great and never had any issues.
When my boys were younger they loved that I picked them up from school with snacked chilled and ready :)

GXExplorer

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bergstrom
Member #

We run our ICECO that has the same compressor unit pretty much non-stop. When we aren’t using it on the trail we use it as a second freezer to keep ice packs frozen for cheese and wine shipping for our little winery. Well run into the ground and then repair or replace.

LEXIRNR

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Isackson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GAA
I too keep my fridges running constantly. I know compressors are one of those things that do better by running continuously than letting them sit for extended periods of time. I’m currently working on a solar setup in the rig so I can leave it in there all the time

Reactions: Road

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

My ARB 63qt is plugged in at home 90% of the time. If it isn't I place a cloth under part of the lid to allow air to flow freely.

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
My Dometic CFX75DZ has been plugged in since I bought it. When not camping, its storing extra food.

There was a recall notice I received recently saying not to keep our Dometic plugged in to both 12V and 110V. Choose one, unplug the other.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

My Dometic CFX75DZ has been plugged in since I bought it. When not camping, its storing extra food.

There was a recall notice I received recently saying not to keep our Dometic plugged in to both 12V and 110V. Choose one, unplug the other.
I wonder why you can't do both. It is a good feature to have. I wonder it there is a fix.

Offcamber

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Princeton, TX
Member #

I have an ARB 42qt that I bought in 2003. It has been plugged in, either in my Jeep or into 110 in the garage for the last 17 years. Will still cool down to -6 F to this day.

Reactions: Brewbud