Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Well, I'm sure most of us have been hit with and electrical issue at one time or another. Some are able to handle it, and others are only able to throw their hands in the air in frustration.

I'M HERE TO CHANGE THAT!!!

I've seen a lot of requests lately in Forums and on Facebook asking for help. I've decided to make a mini series on my YouTube channel to help people learn HOW to diagnose electrical problems. Electrical issues can be difficult to troubleshoot because we can't see electricity (or can we?) and often people give up. Don't let this frustration get the better of you - learn some basic tricks and get yourself running again - don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere!

I'm starting with the basics, so don't worry if you feel like you don't know enough to start. There will be plenty of videos covering lots of topics, so even if only one tip or trick sticks with you, it might be the one to get you home!

Here is the first video - basic circuits and what goes wrong... I hope it helps someone - stay tuned for many more!

BryceL

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fullerton, CA
Member #

Good series so far. Very east to follow and understand. Electrical is not my strong suit, so I'm looking forward to following along. Thanks!

Reactions: atIOIYIOI

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
@atIPIYIOI, Thanks for producing these videos. You've taken the seemingly complex (and worrisome) electrical wiring to a level of understanding for most folk. I look forward to your other videos.

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
The next step, an understanding of Voltage (hopefully!).

Keeping things in simple terms is proving harder than I thought, I actually had to shoot this one about 10 times!

Enjoy!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Whoops! Looks like I missed posting a link for you guys at episode six!

Here is episode six, and also the fresh upload of Episode 7, where I get into an actual diagnosis and repair. I hope this helps people aee that it can be fairly straight forward when you can break it down to smaller chunks, and use a few simple test methods to find the problem.

EP 6 - Resistance and Current:

EP 7 - Finding and fixing a problem with my turn signal:

Enjoy!

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Just watched episode one and subscribed. I've been working on electrical stuff for years (mostly musical gear) but have never gotten into reading schematics or really diving into the "why" it works. Thanks man, keep it up!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Well, I'm sure most of us have been hit with and electrical issue at one time or another. Some are able to handle it, and others are only able to throw their hands in the air in frustration.

I've seen a lot of requests lately in Forums and on Facebook asking for help. I've decided to make a mini series on my YouTube channel to help people learn HOW to diagnose electrical problems. Electrical issues can be difficult to troubleshoot because we can't see electricity (or can we?) and often people give up. Don't let this frustration get the better of you - learn some basic tricks and get yourself running again - don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere!

I'm starting with the basics, so don't worry if you feel like you don't know enough to start. There will be plenty of videos covering lots of topics, so even if only one tip or trick sticks with you, it might be the one to get you home!

Here is the first video - basic circuits and what goes wrong... I hope it helps someone - stay tuned for many more!

thank you for this post!

Doug2003

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

East Olympia, Washington, United States
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Prater
Member #

Thank you for taking your time to put this series together

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Little bit of a different direction for this episode, covering electrical crimp connections, how to make proper ones, know they are good, and the tools you need.

Doing it properly is easy with the right tools!

freedomomelet

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Nebraska
Launch Member

Influencer I

Springfield, NE
Member #

@atIOIYIOI tremendous series here sir. Thanks for getting all this together. I myself am completely electrically inept and have been wanting something like this. Keep it up and I know who I can come to for future electrical questions! Installation tutorials/techniques for external and internal lights, power sources, multiple batteries, etc. would be great as well!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
@atIOIYIOI tremendous series here sir. Thanks for getting all this together. I myself am completely electrically inept and have been wanting something like this. Keep it up and I know who I can come to for future electrical questions! Installation tutorials/techniques for external and internal lights, power sources, multiple batteries, etc. would be great as well!
Great suggestions. I have a multiple battery setup in the BJ70 that I can make a video of, along with some LED installs. Will put some of this onto video form for you :cD