Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

For those who have gone to Expos or other overland/off-roading/camping events, do you prefer to travel lean or with everyone in tow?

As a disclaimer, I love my wife and kid (18-mo old) and would love for them to join me on any trip BUT it does come at a cost. Also, my wife and I have a no-kids getaway trip planned for the weekend after this event.
This would be a no-brainer for short travel but it's a 19-hour drive without stops from Houston, TX to Flagstaff, AZ.

1) By myself, this is two days and easy overnight camping on the way.

2) With my wife and kiddo (who has not slept with us in a RTT yet), this is 3 days each way and, likely, hotels on the way there and back. Last trip, we set up a ground tent with a pack-n-play in it which we'll probably do again for this next year.

So the question is: If you're in a situation where you can either take the solo time and go, guilt-free from wife, OR where your wife is happy to accompany, which way would you lean? Both have pros and cons and I'm hoping to learn from other's experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@AggieOE
Good question, having not traveled that far with a 18 month old in a very long time so I really cant reply to that part of the Q. But here are some thoughts about Overland Expo West that might help you with your decision.
  • If you camp on site the walk/bike ride is about 1 mile from the camping areas to the event. This can be reduced by getting a premium spot closer but I think they are taken up with the Overland Experience attendees. So I mitigated this by biking from camp to the event.
  • Once at the event it is an all out assault on your brain, so much to see with all the vendors and attending great classes. You could actually be there from the start in the morning till late at night and still not see everything. So fatigue is a factor especially with a small child.
  • I will say it is great to have your spouse there to experience the event and the community, it really pays off when moving forward with the very expensive sport. (get my drift)
  • Not allot of food vendors
  • The bathroom situation is not the greatest so an area for changing would need to be scooped out.

Expo West vs Mountain west;
  • Expo West is bigger and way more established.
  • Mountain West is in a large city and rather open. There has been talk about it moving one of these years.
  • Loveland is about 2 hrs closer for you but Flagstaff is a real experience that you need to do at least once.

A good contact to message about going with kids is a good friend of mine @Neilechols he replies fairly fast, his family is way bigger but he might be able to give you info on the little one going.

Just my ten cents, whatever you decide it will be a great adventure.

Reactions: AggieOE