Lay Flat Gas Can Suggestions?

• HTML tutorial

NorCal451

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

El Dorado County
Member #

Looking to get a 4 gal gas can soon. Currently found two different types on Amazon.

Anyone use either one of these? Which do you recommend?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Rotopax is the real deal, lots of guys out here run them. The only issue I've seen was one laying down on a roof rack in the sun, it swelled up and took some work to unlatch it.

ADV Rider guys use the small ones all the time and they stand up to repeated crashes and horrible vibration and shock. The midsize ones are popular with ATV guys, and the large ones I see on overland rigs on really nasty terrain.

They are a good product, but I stick with NATO cans for fuel and Scepter cans for water because I can carry more volume for the money.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

My money is on Rotopax. Buy the best and cry once. There are a lot of mixed reviews on the other brand.

JKUOverland

Rank 0

Contributor I

I went with two 6 gal boat gas can from Specter and strapped them to Gobi roof rack. I adjusted a large Pelican case(Squad/Team size rifle case) to have the cans fit against the Pelican and cargo bar. The Specter cans are high quality options for boaters. Their 6 gallon has a full off set fill opening. Meaning the fill opening in on the end of the can. Often boating gas cans the opening in closer to the center which makes it difficult to off load/pour gas easily. Specter also sells a large pour spout for the tanks! The height of the container is the same as stacking 3 Rotopax( don't have the exact dimension readily available). The gas cans are expensive than typical boat cans however, less expensive than 4 Rotopax to get 12 gallons.
*even though they are labeled 6 gal, they are produced in Canada as 22L which is 5.8gallons.